+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Problem setting Public Folder in Exchange with email account in Technical; I have followed the tutorial below to set up a Public Folder, assigned it an email address and done the ...
    Thank Post

Problem setting Public Folder in Exchange with email account

I have followed the tutorial below to set up a Public Folder, assigned it an email address and done the necessary permissions. The problem i am having is getting the email address for the Public folder to show up in the Global Address List. IF i have read the instructions correctly i was under the impression that ti should show up in GAL.

I i look and choose Public Folders from the drop down list under the GAL i van see the email account, but i want it to appear in the GAL

Is this possible? I ant emails to go to this folder for office support, so that admin staff can pick up admin based emails and reply to them as and when the request come up. I have tested it already and it will do what we want it to but i need the email account to show in the GAL.

.......and yes i have took the tick out of 'Hide from Exchange address lists'

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/MF021.html

Thank Post

Re: Problem setting Public Folder in Exchange with email acc

Don't know if this ever works.. I've given public folders addresses but have never cared about having them in the GAL.

Best guess: Is there anything in the event logs to suggest RUS is broken? Have you tried kicking off RUS manually?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Re: Problem setting Public Folder in Exchange with email account

Sorry to drag this off a bit, but as the public folder is dead in Exchange from the new version, have you not thought of setting up a normal user account with an email address and then adding it to Outlook as another mailbox to open with the users main ones? Thats what we do for support work etc

Thank Post

Re: Problem setting Public Folder in Exchange with email account

What version of outlook you using?
    Addresses don't show in the offline address book until it rebuilds, and what shows as the "global address list" is really the "offline address book" if you're running Outlook 2003 cached mode.

For testing purposes (if you are using outlook 2003) turn off cached mode - does the new email address show up in the global address list then?

If it's still not showing up, you'll need to make sure your Global Address List is actually set to show Public folders (I think it's one of the tick-boxes in the filter rules. Or if you've got a custom LDAP query you can try decoding that, which is normally a nightmare)

@john - trouble with using mailboxes for that purpose is that you need to do some weird stuff with permissions to get it to work reliably. We used to do that, but one of the updates changed the way the "send as" rights were applied and it broke everything. If you don't need the full facilities of an Exchange mailbox it's better to use public folders

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread