+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Windows Thread, MCSA 2003 update 70-648 Exam in Technical; I'm thinking about updating my 2003 MCSA to 2008 TS, has anyone here taken this exam if so what books ...
  1. #1
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74

    MCSA 2003 update 70-648 Exam

    I'm thinking about updating my 2003 MCSA to 2008 TS, has anyone here taken this exam if so what books did you use? There doesn't seem to be much training material out there other than the MS books and they're expensive.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...8&Locale=en-us

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    805
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 166 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    The 70-648 is actually both 70-640 (83-640) and the 70-642 in one exam. So if you get the study materials for both those exams, it'll cover the material for the 70-648.

    I did the 71-649/70-649 which is the 70-640 (83-640), the 70-642 & the 70-643. You can read what I used here (I took the 649 exam 3 times).

    -Ken

  3. Thanks to wagnerk from:

    cookie_monster (6th December 2009)

  4. #3
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    The 70-648 is actually both 70-640 (83-640) and the 70-642 in one exam. So if you get the study materials for both those exams, it'll cover the material for the 70-648.

    I did the 71-649/70-649 which is the 70-640 (83-640), the 70-642 & the 70-643. You can read what I used here (I took the 649 exam 3 times).

    -Ken


    Three times ouch I bet that cost a bit. I take it it's not straight forward then? I had to take 70-292 twice it was supposed to be a difficult one though, apparently it's the most failed MCP exam lucky I had a second shot

  5. #4
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,999
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    When I looked at updating my windows 2000 to 2003 I got the upgrade book but I soon got bored of it as it seemed to focus on higlighting the difference between the two versions as in in what can one do that the other can't rather than just concentrating on the new OS. This seemed to be the focus of all the questions. No doubt 2003-8 is the same.
    I think I would rather just do the server exam again than answer all that rubbish. I am out of date now so I would just do the exams again. Rather than an upgrade path.

  6. #5
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    When I looked at updating my windows 2000 to 2003 I got the upgrade book but I soon got bored of it as it seemed to focus on higlighting the difference between the two versions as in in what can one do that the other can't rather than just concentrating on the new OS. This seemed to be the focus of all the questions. No doubt 2003-8 is the same.
    I think I would rather just do the server exam again than answer all that rubbish. I am out of date now so I would just do the exams again. Rather than an upgrade path.


    The 70-292 exam? Well isn't that the point of the update exam there's no point covering what you should know you just cover what's new in the updated OS. I seem to remember the exam covering loads of the new content to an in depth level. It was a while since though so I might be confusing it with other exams.

    If I take the other exams then I'll have to take 2 + which will be twice the price the update is one exam.

  7. #6
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    805
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 166 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Three times ouch I bet that cost a bit. I take it it's not straight forward then? I had to take 70-292 twice it was supposed to be a difficult one though, apparently it's the most failed MCP exam lucky I had a second shot
    It didn't cost me that much. I took the beta (which was free), then I did the free second shot. So for those 3 exams I really only paid for 1.

    The 2008 upgrade exams as well as standard exams are easier to understand than the 2000/2003, but more technical - so swings and roundabouts really.

    Without breaking the NDA:

    The upgrade exams are really literally 2 or 3 exams in one. The exam(s) are graded individually and the overall score of the upgrade exam is the lowest score of the individual exam, eg in exam 70-649 because it's 3 exams in one, my overall score was the lowest score of 3. Once you finish one part, you can't go back.

    The 70-296, the MCSE upgrade, was alot harder than the 70-292...

    -Ken

  8. #7
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    The 70-296, the MCSE upgrade, was alot harder than the 70-292...
    Was it. I rememer reading loads of threads on the internet at the time that it was the other way around, people saying they passed 296 no probs then wanted to get the MCSA as well (paper collectors) and failed 292. I saw one post where someone failed it 7 times in the end they took all 4 MCSA exams and passed 290 and 291 were suppose to be more straight forward than 292.

    I suppose it depends on the questions that you get from the pool or maybe I was just very well prepared for the exam.

  9. #8
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    805
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 166 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Was it. I rememer reading loads of threads on the internet at the time that it was the other way around, people saying they passed 296 no probs then wanted to get the MCSA as well (paper collectors) and failed 292. I saw one post where someone failed it 7 times in the end they took all 4 MCSA exams and passed 290 and 291 were suppose to be more straight forward than 292.

    I suppose it depends on the questions that you get from the pool or maybe I was just very well prepared for the exam.
    Strange, I found the 292 exam easier than the 296, but yes it does depend on how prepared you are, plus the questions from the pool.

    The people who just passed the upgrade exam 70-296 still had to do the 292 in order to get the MCSE 2003. And that in turn gave them the MCSA 2003 upgrade.

    Yeah, to be honest, doing the exams individually (for the most part) was always going to be easier...

    -ken

  10. #9
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,133
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 228 Times in 194 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Cookie_monster,
    Did you end up taking the exam? How did you find it?
    I was about to create a new thread asking a very similar question to your original post.

    Throughout your research do you know what (if anything) this exam is comparible to? Is it litterally just covering upgrade topics, or does it re-visit some of the earlier exams to make sure you still know?!

    Cheers

  11. #10
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Cookie_monster,
    Did you end up taking the exam? How did you find it?
    I was about to create a new thread asking a very similar question to your original post.

    Throughout your research do you know what (if anything) this exam is comparible to? Is it litterally just covering upgrade topics, or does it re-visit some of the earlier exams to make sure you still know?!

    Cheers


    I haven't taken it yet we've had a busy period recently.


    In my experience the upgrade exams that I've taken 70-292 and 70-621 did not cover content covered in the previous exams they just seem to cover new features in the updated version.

    Take a look here for what the exam covers.

    TS: Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 MCSA to, Windows Server 2008, Technology Specializations

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. MCSA exam
    By kevin_lane in forum Windows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23rd October 2008, 04:07 PM
  2. MCSA
    By localzuk in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th September 2007, 08:45 AM
  3. Server 2003 stalls after wsus update
    By pooley in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th July 2007, 01:56 PM
  4. MCSA
    By localzuk in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th February 2007, 11:33 AM
  5. Mark Minasi's Update to Mastering Server 2003 out soon.
    By ChrisH in forum Books and Manuals
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 20th December 2006, 10:40 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •