+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, File screening on 2003 R2 set up question in Technical; I want to make the most of the new feature in R2 which if file screening. I know if i ...
    Thank Post

File screening on 2003 R2 set up question

I want to make the most of the new feature in R2 which if file screening. I know if i install it now on our file server it will only affect new files that are saved to heir home directories.

But my question is, I plan to move one of our primary schools home directories folders from off their old file server to a new one which has just been purchased. The new server has far more storage space. I was wondering if....i set up a folder called Homedirs, set up the file screening templates to what i want,then copy all the old users areas to this folder will the screening take place as i copy them across. I would then run a vbs script to set all the permission correct.

I did think of restoring from back up but i doubt if the file screening would pick any thing up from a back up restore.

Suggestions or ideas to my scenario please?

Thank Post

Re: File screening on 2003 R2 set up question

File screening will pick up ANY changes to the location set - even if your an Admin logged onto the physical server (been there done that!)
    It would have been handy for M$ to have allowed Admins to overrule the File Screening settings if logged onto the Server.

Another thing to watch out for is Temporary Files! - I screened these then foiund that no-one could save these because when, say, Word was being used, it tried to create a temp file (~blah.tmp) in the users Home Drive - which screening then blocked when they tried to save the document at the end of a lesson.. Had to go round with some USB Keys to get their work saved...

Thank Post

Re: File screening on 2003 R2 set up question

We use file screening to block executables being stored in user areas (pesky games). It seems to be working fine for us. We also block MP3 files the same way- and scouring the areas with tools like Agent Ransack show that it's working.

Give it a go but slowly slowly catchy monkey....

...I could catch a monkey.....

.......if I wanted.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread