+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Movie Maker replacement in Technical; Originally Posted by Arthur Not sure of an exact date, but I've read it's "soon". There's a good YouTube video ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Not sure of an exact date, but I've read it's "soon".

There's a good YouTube video showing the pre-release version in action.

Video | quietube
    Looks pretty good - a lot of wasted screen space at the bottom under the timeline, though, unless you can resize it so the clip and preview windows are much bigger.

I'm liking quietube.com as well - if we ever get YouTube released here, I will suggest that people use it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    VLMC definitely shows a lot of promise. Since it is based on VLC Media Player I hope we don't have to wait 13 years for v1.0 to be released.

I really like QuietTube too, particularly since it hides all the inane comments below the videos.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    VLMC definitely shows a lot of promise. Since it is based on VLC Media Player I hope we don't have to wait 13 years for v1.0 to be released.

I really like QuietTube too, particularly since it hides all the inane comments below the videos.
    Just wondering on OS X with ref to vlc media player - is there anything hints / tips etc you can do to get dvd playback working as it was in the earlier versions because dvd playback seems to have taken a nose dive and is temperamental at the best of times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 2,140 Posts
    It seems the Mac version of VLC hardly has any developers working on it these days so that could be why it is a bit buggy. Perhaps things will improve once they integrate the new Lunettes GUI? I suppose you could use an older version of VLC just for playing DVDs (v0.8.6i?) and the latest version for everything else?

I use quite a lot of different media players on my home computers. My favourites are MPlayer OSX Extended (the latest version has a nice new GUI), Movist and sometimes NicePlayer with Perian on my Mac and Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (in EVR mode) with ffdshow-tryouts on my Windows PC. The majority of my DVDs are stored on my WHS as ISOs or MKVs, so it's very rare I play a physical DVD these days. It's much less hassle, although I know it's incredibly lazy.

What sort of issues do you get with VLC and do the DVDs play perfectly in Apple's DVD Player? I wonder if any of the playback problems are caused by the intentional corruption that is used on many DVDs these days? It would be interesting to see if ripping a known problematic disc to your HDD first using RipIt for example, allows the DVD to be played without issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    video spin

Free video editing software download lets you edit and upload your movies for free - VideoSpin - Create your own movie clips in minutes!

You get a trial and I think you only have to pay about 6 or 7 quid after that just for the codecs
    Looks good, and it can play the video from our school camcorder too - not sure if it is doing that using a costed codec or the free ones, guess I won't find out for another 15 days (unless anyone already has it installed without the codecs and could test a file for me...).

I've got slight concerns over the licence though, as it seems to suggest it is for personal use only, or rather I think it said you could install it on a single computer; unfortunately now I've installed it, I can't see the licence. I'll install it again and read it more carefully. Hopefully they'll agree to me deploying it via the AD.

I'd rather get Movie Maker working with our camera (stupid Sony proprietary codecs, grrr) but would settle for this if it came to it - especially if the free version works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123