+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, What server to virtualize? in Technical; When people talk about redundancy and fail overs what do you mean? Does vitualizing allow you to run a 2nd ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When people talk about redundancy and fail overs what do you mean?

Does vitualizing allow you to run a 2nd powerful server with the same data that can be simply switched on when the main one fails?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking at Win2K8R2 Datacenter and Hyper-V2 as my virtualisation platform. The idea being that the three (or four) physical hosts are the DC's and name servers and everything else is run in it's own VM on top of them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    When people talk about redundancy and fail overs what do you mean?

Does vitualizing allow you to run a 2nd powerful server with the same data that can be simply switched on when the main one fails?
    genrally what is mean is having 2+ servers connected to a SAN (or 2) with redundant links so the VM's run off of the san and if one host goes down the second takes on the machine until it feels like going back over

it also works as load balancing

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm looking at Win2K8R2 Datacenter and Hyper-V2 as my virtualisation platform. The idea being that the three (or four) physical hosts are the DC's and name servers and everything else is run in it's own VM on top of them.
    I think microsofts recommendation is that hyper-v servers is a hyper-v server, nothing more - the thing that they are trying for is a server for each role and your lock you server down as that is the only thing that needs to happen on it (easier to do now with virtual machines and the vm licening they run)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have everything virtulised apart from the HOSTS ofcourse and the storage servers aswell as ISA.

James.

Thank Post
    Everything here is virtualised, apart from the backup server as that one is very heavy i/o and needs a tape drive attached.

DCs have been virtual for the last 4 years now, as long as you are careful then there is nothing to worry about. We run 4 hosts (down from 6 blades) with sufficient capacity to take one off line at a time for maintenance and updates.

Thank Post
    At the end of the day it comes down to planning. Plan and spec it well and you will fine and never look back. Plan it badly and or spec it below what is reilly needed and you will get your fingers burnt! Since 100% virtualisation we have taken the entire domain down several times due to power cuts etc and as long as the management system (on my case vmware virtual centre) is on a physical box (none domain member, fixed ip etc you will be fine. And even if that does crash you can still connect to the esx's individually to move stuff around/ power up etc. One finaly thought keep buy a huge amount of storage And keep copies of the virtual machines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    I think microsofts recommendation is that hyper-v servers is a hyper-v server, nothing more - the thing that they are trying for is a server for each role and your lock you server down as that is the only thing that needs to happen on it (easier to do now with virtual machines and the vm licening they run)
    Great idea but you require a running DC for Hyper-V to work so the PDC can't be virtualised. The PDC needs a DNS server so 1xDNS and 1xDC need to be physical. Do I have two cheap, but very fast servers sitting idle waiting for the odd DC or DNS request or do I say "I've got three 8 thread 12Gb server running Hyper-V, they can double up as DC's and DNS"

It's good advice, just in this case I think running three DC+DNS+Hyper-V servers the better way to go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great idea but you require a running DC for Hyper-V to work so the PDC can't be virtualised. The PDC needs a DNS server so 1xDNS and 1xDC need to be physical. Do I have two cheap, but very fast servers sitting idle waiting for the odd DC or DNS request or do I say "I've got three 8 thread 12Gb server running Hyper-V, they can double up as DC's and DNS"

It's good advice, just in this case I think running three DC+DNS+Hyper-V servers the better way to go.
    Hyper-V needs a DC? Have you got a source for that? That is an odd requirement!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hyper-V: The Domain Controller Dilemma

That was just a quick web search. Can't remember where I found the detail originally.

Though, thinking about it - do the Hyper-V server themselves have to be be domain members?

I think, from memory, it boils down to access permissions on a SAN cluster shared volumes - but I could be wrong.

Thank Post
    From point 2 in the article you linked, if they aren't in the domain you lose 'the security advantages' and it makes having multiple administers more laborious, plus you don't get all the SCVMM advangtages.

RwD

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd go with that guy's option 4 - combining Hyper-V with high availability tools (IIRC it either comes with it built in, or it can be bolted on with the Citrix Essentials for Hyper V), even if the physical box went down, it would live migrate anyway. So, not so much of an issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I admit it, I've only just sat down and read that article in full. When I posted I was just quickly linking to a third party explanation of the problem

Any who, although not Ideal I can't see what is wrong with making each of your Hyper-V servers DC's and DNS servers. If they all have a copy of the global catalogue then you don't have too meny issues unless all three (in this case) go down.

Re-run any effected VM's on the still working server. Users should be able to log and access work while youwork at fixing the downed server.

You can easily back-up AD with NTBackup, automated. If you have to do a complete rebuild then all three services are standard components of Window Server and easy to install.

Pah! Horses for courses!

Thank Post
    I admit it, I've only just sat down and read that article in full. When I posted I was just quickly linking to a third party explanation of the problem

Any who, although not Ideal I can't see what is wrong with making each of your Hyper-V servers DC's and DNS servers. If they all have a copy of the global catalogue then you don't have too meny issues unless all three (in this case) go down.

Re-run any effected VM's on the still working server. Users should be able to log and access work while youwork at fixing the downed server.

You can easily back-up AD with NTBackup, automated. If you have to do a complete rebuild then all three services are standard components of Window Server and easy to install.

Pah! Horses for courses!
    Just backup the VM's its one file per OS Hard disk.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it would be worth considering where your user areas are stored (on DC's, on VMs or using DfS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12