+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Can I do this with Microsoft FTP 7.5 on Server 2008? in Technical; Copied from my post at IIS.net Alright so here's the deal. I've been slowly migrating to Windows Server 2008 and ...
    Thank Post

Question Can I do this with Microsoft FTP 7.5 on Server 2008?

Copied from my post at IIS.net

Alright so here's the deal. I've been slowly migrating to Windows Server 2008 and IIS 7/FTP 7.5 here. I have just a single IP address, and I host all my websites using Host Headers within IIS. It worked great on Server 2003 and IIS 6 and I think it will in IIS 7 as well. I host websites for about 15 different clients, and then give them FTP access to the root of their website. The file structure is like:

wwwroot

>Website1
    >Website2

Not too difficult. What I used to do on server 2003 was run WS_FTP server, and link each FTP user account I made that resided inside the WS_FTP user database to one of those folders. It worked great. I could also create a virtual directory of another website they may have ran so when they logged into their FTP account they would get a folder saying Website 1, and say, Website 7 as a virtual directory so that they could have a folder that linked to the root of each of their websites. So very simple.

I thought hmm, I'll try FTP 7.5. So far, I'm left a little confused. I'm trying to understand User Isolation, but from what I can see User Isolation creates either a home directory, or a directory under the ftproot folder with the same name as the user. Normally that would be great for just a secure FTP file server, but I want to link users straight to the root of each of their websites. Webmaster1 is going to need to log in and see one folder called Website1 Root, Webmaster2 is going to need to log in and see one folder called Website2 root, which are pointing to wwwroot>website#. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to define user accounts for who can log into FTP and who can't. It's all either set to Basic Authentication or Anonymouse, which obviously I don't want since NOBODY should have anonymous access. That's great, but how do I know if a user has an FTP account or not? Or do ALL users on the domain have an FTP account by default? I'll be creating each user in Active Directory.

This was a very easy setup with WS_FTP, is this possible with FTP 7.5?

Thanks!
    Last edited by link470; 25th November 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Just updating everyone here. I still haven't found a solution to the FTP issue, to define accounts who can access FTP and what each accounts home directory is and map any virtual directories to their accounts they have access to. I've had 1 reply on IIS.net, and that was someone saying "just use WS_FTP", which yes, it worked, but I'd like to know how to use FTP 7.5 if this is possible to do. There doesn't seem to be nearly enough options in it though. Thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread