+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Blue Screen with PCI Card in got me completely stumped! in Technical; I'm having a nightmare and wondered if anyone could offer advice as im not sure where to go next with ...

Thank Post

Blue Screen with PCI Card in got me completely stumped!

I'm having a nightmare and wondered if anyone could offer advice as im not sure where to go next with this problem!

The background is that the serial port on the server in the dining hall has was blown when a com device broke. As a solution we have got a new device but needed a new serial port so got one for free from a IT company near us. We plugged it in but it didnt appear to be working properly, the card reader was not reading the card properly as it wasnt picking up all the data off the card. So we purchased a brand new StarTech 2 port serial card. Installed that, drivers go on fine, everything gets configured and works but then when you reboot the server it just blue screens when you get to the logon screen. If you then boot in safe mode it doesnt blue screen but the serial card doesnt appear anywhere in device manager.

I've tried it in 3 different pci slots, with the latest drivers, and even made an effort to track down and delete the drivers of the first faulty card we tried incase there is some sort of conflict but still it blue screens after installing and restarting.

I've disabled the onboard serial port incase of a conflcit there and doesn't make a difference, it looks like a hardware conflcit of some sort but im really stuck with what to try next, maybe another card but i cant get hold of one so will need another new one buying without the guarentee it will work.

Can anyone suggest anything as im running out of ideas fast!
    Last edited by plexer; 25th November 2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    What type of PCI slot are you putting it into? PCI Express?

Thank Post
    its an older server, with 1 pci slot and 2 pci-x slots which support normal pci. Like i said it detects the card and installs the drivers and works fine... until you reboot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @farquea:

Looks to me like the PCI bus has got problems on the motherboard due to the serial blowing. Any chance you could get another exactly the same model and type?

Thank Post
    another motherboard? i dont think that is the problem but i guess the test would be to install another pci device such as a sound card and see what happens?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread