+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Managed software will not install in Technical; Default Domain policy disables Windows Firewall (we are behind Cisco PIX and MS ISA at LA level plus ISA in ...

Thank Post
    Default Domain policy disables Windows Firewall (we are behind Cisco PIX and MS ISA at LA level plus ISA in the local LAN). The System/Logon/Wait for network is also enabled in Default Domain Policy.
    This only seems to delay the presentation of the CRTL+ALT+DEL screen. Ideally what I need is for the network to be initialised before the system attempts to run ANY system Group Policies but with this being a laptop, I don't want it to be sat waiting for a network connection when it is intended to be running without one.

Just to clarify the issue. When Windows boots you see a series of splash screens, 'Preparing Network Connections', 'Applying Computer settings' etc, one of these should be 'Applying Software Installation Settings...' which then changes to 'Installing Managed Software..... <Title>'. I am not seeing the 'Applying Software Installation Settings...' message at all. It is not that windows is trying to run the install and failing, it just isn't trying it at all. All Managed Software applications are applied to the 'Computer' settings in the GPO, not to the user. Application Log errors show that the laptop cannot connect to the domain controller during startup and aborts running Group Policies. By the time the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen appears, the domain is available and you can log on.

The suggestion of LAN drivers being slow to kick in is the suggestion I am pursuing at the moment.
    The NIC in the laptop is a Realtek 8139 and the installed driver is version 5.719.325.2009 dated 25/3/2009.

Any suggestions on how to force the LAN drivers to initialise quicker, or earlier would be appreciated, or where to obtain a reliable driver for this card.

Thank Post
    The last time I had a software policy that failed to apply was due to permissions. The install source needs to allow read access to Domain Computers (or whatever group the PC/laptop is in) and I'd missed that out when creating the share.

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone who suggested things to look for. I have now resolved this (I think/hope) by installing an older NIC driver.
    To help anyone who may be searching for this in the future, Windows update had installed Realtek Driver 5.719.325.2009, I have now installed Driver Version 5.505.1004.2002 and everything now seems to be working perfectly. The problem was that the network driver was not initialising quickly enough to be able to contact the DC and process Group Policies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smithk2306 View Post
    Default Domain policy disables Windows Firewall (we are behind Cisco PIX and MS ISA at LA level plus ISA in the local LAN). The System/Logon/Wait for network is also enabled in Default Domain Policy.
    This only seems to delay the presentation of the CRTL+ALT+DEL screen. Ideally what I need is for the network to be initialised before the system attempts to run ANY system Group Policies
    The wait for network policy needs to be a local machine policy not domain policy for this fix to work, if the laptop is not picking up your managed software instalation, or part of it, it's most likley won't be picking the default domain policy, give it a try it's only one machine and take 2mins to set up. it sorted all my problems that I had with gpo software instalation, as for boot time to log on screen thats only a few seconds more and I doubt anyone would even see a change

good luck we all need a bit of it sometimes, Bloody Windows
    Last edited by ozzy; 25th November 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Thank Post
    had this same problem on a batch of computrers in the ict suite, the problem i found was fixed by installing service pack 3 - might not fix ur issue but worth a try if you havent installed sp3 yet on the lappy. i had the same message in event log regarding domain controller.

oops can see its fixed now! i must install my graphics driver on this machine the page jumps too quickly!!!
    Last edited by dumb0; 26th November 2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: im abit dumb

Thank Post
    ive also had an issue before where certain network cards (read intel 1000 somethigns in dell gx something) wouldnt deploy msi's via a hp switch unless the switch had fireware updated or cards were set to 10mb (might of been 100mb 1/2 duplex)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12