+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Adobe CS3 Premier Pro errors in Technical; Morning all The IT teachers have just started using Premier Pro in lessons and the students are getting the following ...
    Thank Post

Adobe CS3 Premier Pro errors

Morning all

The IT teachers have just started using Premier Pro in lessons and the students are getting the following error:

\src\directoryregistry.cpp-283

and premier won't start. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Google searches throw up something about c:\documents and settings but I'm not sure what exactly.

Cheers
    James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Are you redirecting the students' Application Data to a UNC share, the root of which they do not have write access to?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the fast reply

We do redirect Application Data but the students have write access to it. Any more ideas?

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Do they have write access to the root of the share, not just their own folder within it?

e.g. if JoeBloggs redirected appdata was to

Code:
    \\server\appdatashare\students\JoeBloggs
    does he have write access to:

Code:
    \\server\appdatashare\
    If not, you've hit an increasingly common bug with Adobe's newer products. It started with Adobe Acrobat and Reader 9.0, and I've seen in in Premiere Elements too.

Adobe officially do not support redirected AppData to a UNC path*. When it is used, a bit of shared code between several Adobe products expects the user to be able to write to the root of the share the redirection points to. If they don't have write access, the program crashes.

*This wasn't always the case, but Adobe dropped support for redirected AppData about 6 months after the bug first surfaced when they decided they weren't going to fix it (after promising those of us with support contracts it would be fixed).

Thank Post
    The only issue I've ever had is Premiere Pro not capturing, but I don't redirect application data for students. I've found that after a system running Premiere Pro CS3 is imaged, and copied to another system, something in that process corrupts the ability for Premiere to capture. You get "capture device offline" all the time. Never had an error similar to yours though. I usually capture the footage here in my office and then transfer the raw files to the Art share drive we have here for the students to pull down to a local drive, at least, until I can rebuild each lab computer manually without imaging. The only answers I ever seem to get from Adobe is that Premiere Pro is not meant for a network environment and works best on a local computer with administrative access, which for obvious reasons we can't just dish out to students and we can't have the systems not on a domain for centralized management.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread