Yesterday I got a call from a user, letting me know that when he clicked on an email link in his browser, it opened with Outlook Express, Not Outlook. Went to change his MailTo file types entry to Outlook, however the change button was greyed out, so I changed his regkey for it instead. Tested it, looked to work fine.
((he uses office 2003, I got the key off my PC (running Office 2007) and edited from office12 to office11 path.))
This morning, the same user asked why when he was clicking on a mail link in his browser it was opening another instance of Outlook.exe (so 2 main outlook windows now on his screen along with the new message window opened when clicking the link) & the one being opened by clicking the link having the message "Navigation cancelled" In it (not showing his inbox etc)
I thought it must have been the key I changed having some stuff on the end of it. ( -c IPM.Note /m "%1" ) and that it was an issue of this not being correct for office 2003...
I checked another office 2003 users reg and it is the same, however his works fine.
I checked the processes in task manager, and when clicking a link, another outlook window opens however another Outlook.exe process does not.
Sorry for not explaining this too well...
Any idea how to stop this second window from opening?
Deleted the reg key. Went to test. Clicked link in browser. It still opened the second outlook window, with the error message of ... cannot do this as default mail rubbish isn't installed/setup. (or something like this )
As to the Program thing, Outlook is now set to the default for that file type, so that isn't the issue really, its just this 2 windows stuff.
Can you tell me what you did to sort this as I have the same problem with one of our users.
When first looking at this issue, The Tools -> Options -> Applications in Firefox did not have OUTLOOK avalible in the drop down list for Mailto, and I couldn't tell it to open with outlook, it would only go with express.
After faffing about with the reg, it would appear that it added Outlook to this list twice! 1 being outlook, the other being outlook (default)
It was set to Outlook when the issue was occurring. I changed it to outlook (default) and it looks to work OK.