+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, NTFS Permissions problem in Technical; I'm in need of some advice on an NTFS permissions problem we are experiencing. Basically the ICT teachers require access ...

Thank Post

NTFS Permissions problem

I'm in need of some advice on an NTFS permissions problem we are experiencing. Basically the ICT teachers require access to all the students home folders to mark the students work. This involves them modifying some of student powerpoint files which are used as an eportfolio. I created a security group called Student Administrators and added the teachers as members. This group now has permissions to modify files within the student folders ensuring that on the advanced special permissions the take ownership attribute is deselected.

When the student files are accesseed by the teachers things are fine up until they make changes and save the file, they then become the owner of the file and the student is unable to access his file that he originally created. I presumed this was just a permissions problem but at present we are unable to see what is wrong.

Any hints or pointers would be much appreciated as its driving us mad at present not to mention the teachers involved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Not entirely sure what you're doing wrong (need to think on it), but I am very concerned that teachers are modifying course work... I think exam boards will take a dim view of this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You need to remove CREATOR OWNER from the ACL under the Security tab properties of a folder.

Thank Post
    Pause for thought on that one !!!

The teachers are only modifing an ePortfolio index page which is used by the moderator to access all the students course work. By adding comments at the end the students get feedback on what they need to change to imrove their marks. thats the theory anyway.

Thank Post
    If we remove the creator owner from the ACL won't that remove the students rights for access to their own files that they have created.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Usually you shouldn't/wouldn't need the Creator Owner ACL if the user has full access to their My Documents (which they should have). I run a similar system to what you describe (staff accessing user areas) and I have removed Creator Owner. Staff should just have Modify rights.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyh080 View Post
    If we remove the creator owner from the ACL won't that remove the students rights for access to their own files that they have created.
    not if the student explicitly has full control over the folder and all contents. New documents created in that folder should get their ACL's from the parent folder which lists the student as having full control.

TheLibrarian
    We operate the same system too, only the Domain Admins get full control, the Teachers and the student just get Read, Write, Erase, Create, Modify.

Although IIRC the owner of a file gets full control unless permissions have been specifically denied.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread