+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, REMOTE DESKTOP WILL NOT LOAD in Technical; HI i am an it technician in a school. we use remote desktop to remote into our servers from our ...
    Thank Post

REMOTE DESKTOP WILL NOT LOAD

HI i am an it technician in a school. we use remote desktop to remote into our servers from our office for ease.

I have just started there and have loaded loads of programs onto my pc. now i go to remote into our servers and when i try to open windows remote desktop it throws up an error like evaluation version has expired plesase install full version.

Does anyone know how i can just reinstall remote desktop, and not have to format and reload. The only reason i need to do this is there is no image for this machine and it took a day to load all the software.

thank you

nick

Thank Post
    Are you sure you have not left more than a couple of sessions open? Remote desktop for administration of servers usually means you can have like 2 or 3 sessions or something like that in use at any given time on a particular server. Any more and they require you to purchase terminal server and licences. As long as you logout properly you should not have a problem using it this way between a few techs. Remote desktop itself will not expire like a normal app and would not need reinstalling.

You should be able to close any open sessions on the server and change settings on administrative tools, terminal services configuration.

Someone please correct me if i am spouting rubbish. I am not near a server at the min to check anything and my brain hurts from studying.

Thank Post
    sorry i was not clear, it is my office machine running xp that i have a problem with, not a server.
    nick

Thank Post
    What *exactly* is the error message you get, and when does it appear?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    dalsoth is right

You can only have 2 Remote desktop sessions logged in to the server from anywhere at any one time. Chances are other sessions haven't been logged out when you are trying to use it from your XP PC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Are you sure you have not left more than a couple of sessions open? Remote desktop for administration of servers usually means you can have like 2 or 3 sessions or something like that in use at any given time on a particular server. Any more and they require you to purchase terminal server and licences. As long as you logout properly you should not have a problem using it this way between a few techs. Remote desktop itself will not expire like a normal app and would not need reinstalling.

You should be able to close any open sessions on the server and change settings on administrative tools, terminal services configuration.

Someone please correct me if i am spouting rubbish. I am not near a server at the min to check anything and my brain hurts from studying.
    Not rubbish, although I don't think the error message he gives is indicative of this.

-
    What dalsoth means is your server may have too many sessions that have been left open. This could only be effecting you as the sessions can be reopened by whoever created them.

To end sessions on the server, go to start menu > admin tools > terminal manager and end the sessions in there (you can do this remotely or on the server itself).

Try then.
    -

Thank Post
    I'm assuming you are getting the 'eval error' when trying to run the RDP client.

If so, then the easiest thing would be to to reinstall the RDP client.

Try:
    Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0)

Download and then install for your OS.

HTH

Thank Post
    xp can only support one session remote or console at a time (without a hacked dll file that wont work on a domained pc anyway) maybe if its logged in locally it wont allow you to get/close that session

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread