+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Which antivirus? in Technical; We have Sophos and I can't grumble [too much] We had a dabble with MacAfee at the same time as ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 926 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have Sophos and I can't grumble [too much] We had a dabble with MacAfee at the same time as a Conficker outbreak.

Conficker was cleaned up and we were still using MacAfee on a trial basis.

Logon times were painfully long [especially so on older spec machines]

Moved back to our Sophos solution [and installed VLans] and the network came to life!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We have Sophos and I can't grumble [too much] We had a dabble with MacAfee at the same time as a Conficker outbreak.

Conficker was cleaned up and we were still using MacAfee on a trial basis.

Logon times were painfully long [especially so on older spec machines]

Moved back to our Sophos solution [and installed VLans] and the network came to life!
    clearly a setup issue - any guides on what settings need to be made or how you configure it etc etc ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    clearly a setup issue - any guides on what settings need to be made or how you configure it etc etc ?
    I can supply more detail when I am at work [VPN does not work at the moment] but basically we have Sophos auto detecting when new stations are added to Active Directory and deploying Sophos to the station based upon OU [No intervention from administrator required (most of the time)]

4. Thanks to DaveP from:

mac_shinobi (10th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I can supply more detail when I am at work [VPN does not work at the moment] but basically we have Sophos auto detecting when new stations are added to Active Directory and deploying Sophos to the station based upon OU [No intervention from administrator required (most of the time)]
    Cheers that would be great

Thank Post
    I have used Sophos in past jobs but havent used it for a long time so cannot comment but when I did use it, it was a good bit of software, especially central management of it. If things are like they used to be its good

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I started by creating a group in Sophos Console. With this group selected I clicked on 'Groups/Synchronize with Active Directory' from the Munu bar.

Sophos will then ask for the container [Organisational Unit in Active Directory] you want to synchronize with. Click 'Browse' and locate the OU [I have broken my Sophos deploy down into two broad groups: Servers and Worstations/laptops]

Once you have found the container Sophos will display a confirmation dialog box. Click 'Next'

Select 'Install Sophos Anti-Virus automatically', 'Remove third-party security sofware automatically' and click 'Next' [unless you want to use Sophos Firewall and Sophos Network Acess Control: we don't use them here]

Enter the username and password of the user which will install/update Sophos [username in the form 'Domain\Username' Click Next.

Leave the synchronization interval at 60 minutes [default] and click 'Next'

Another confirmation dialog box is displayed with no changable items is displayed. Click 'Next'

A final dialog box is displayed. There is a tick box which allows you to set up E-Mail alerting when new computers are found in the OUs you have just synchronized. I set the alerting up at a later stage [one thing at a time]

Click 'Finish'

And you are done. If there are OUs within the OU you have just synchronized they will be included also.

Note that the group is now locked and cannot be deleted until synchronization is removed.

Hope this helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12