+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Installer Error 1330 in Technical; Hi guys, I wonder if anyone has ever come across this problem before. I'm trying to install a piece of ...

Thank Post

Windows Installer Error 1330

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone has ever come across this problem before. I'm trying to install a piece of Spanish software for a school I work at but it won't install on all of the computers. On some I get this error message:

Error 1330.A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file m:\cab1.cab has an invalid digital signature.

All of the computers on the network are running Windows XP Professional SP3. I've searched on Google for answers but I'm not really getting anywhere. As far as I have found this is a problem with Windows XP when it is trying to extract cab files larger than 600MB. However Microsoft don't seem to have any kb articles related to it nor a patch to fix it. There is however a patch to fix the problem on Server 2003. Yet it puzzles me as to why it will install on some completely identical machines. Obviously something in the Windows code has changed.

I've tried installing directly from the CD and from the network, neither are successful. People have suggested copying all of the files to the hard drive of the computers or modifying the registry, but even if this works it's not going to be the easiest way to deploy the software across the whole school.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem, or can someone suggest a sensible workaround that I can use to deploy the software across the entire school?

Thank Post
    have you tried running the patch for server 03 on one desktop to see if it works?

are you able to download a fresh copy of the files from the publishers website?

3. Thanks to computer_expert from:

gavins38 (12th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 972 Posts
    I would try and remove / uninstall or un register and re register the windows installer service and the other things mentioned on this ms kb

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

If the windows installer was working on service pack 2 it may be worth while un installing SP 3 and trying again and if it works then re install SP 3 manually using the already downloaded SP 3 exe instead of using wsus or otherwise

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    If the installer will run to completion on a 2003 server, you could do an 'admin' install (SETUP.EXE /A) which will basically extract all the files to a folder that you designate. You can then install workstations from the files that have been extracted.

7. Thanks to ajbritton from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a go and let you know the outcome.

Thank Post
    Like all good problems, I've come back to this one on a different day refreshed and ready to battle again... and it's installed without error! I've no idea why or what was different today, but I'm not going to complain.

However, I might still check that all of the computers have the latest windows installer and will keep all your suggestions just in case it ever happens again.

Thanks for your help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread