+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MIS / Accounting etc in Technical; Edugeekers, Following on again from my last thread here I've finished the base line platform (2003 AD/XP) with various applications ...

Thank Post

MIS / Accounting etc

Edugeekers,

Following on again from my last thread here I've finished the base line platform (2003 AD/XP) with various applications as recommended by your fine selves.

I'm now looking at how to further provide for administrative bodies to perform their daily functions.

In effect, I like the look of Freemis but unfortunately as it wants to run in its own self contained WAMP it's not feasible as I have an existing WAMP in place handling Moodle/webmail/etc and I don't know enough about Ruby on Rails to make it play outside of its self contained environment. (anybody done it?)

I'm after a simple yet functional MIS system to record attendance, allow for reporting and perhaps the recording of fee's paid etc. - Similarly, I suppose a system which can allow for simple accountancy such as balance sheets etc, a spreadsheet could work I think but I was hoping folks had done this kind of thing as I haven't !

The requirement I suppose is that it has to run on Windows 2003 either within WAMP if web based or as an application which can be accessed from a Windows XP workstation.

All ideas welcome, thanks for your interest.

Kim.

Thank Post
    You should be able to install FreeMIS as a seperate install and stick it on a different port

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewilliamson View Post
    You should be able to install FreeMIS as a seperate install and stick it on a different port
    Can't I'm afraid, it has a built in MySQL which clashes with mine on tcp3306.

Can understand why Jonesey has done it this way as a self contained entity but I don't know enough about Ruby to 'take' it out and put it into my own WAMP (assuming I could make it Ruby ready ...) ..

Or I suppose, in theory I could take my stuff and put it into the Freemis WAMP assuming the PHP/etc functions properly but it is an old WAMP which could cause problems on its own so to have it as an app installed into mine may work better (as its ruby the old php etc won't be a problem)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    In effect, I like the look of Freemis but unfortunately as it wants to run in its own self contained WAMP it's not feasible as I have an existing WAMP in place handling Moodle/webmail/etc and I don't know enough about Ruby on Rails to make it play outside of its self contained environment.
    You can't simply run FreeMIS in its own virtual machine?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You can't simply run FreeMIS in its own virtual machine?

--
    David Hicks
    Hi David,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I could do as you said but it's adding more complication to a platform which has to be fairly self sustainable with minor hand holding as much as possible.

Also, the overhead bearing in mind each school is going to be having a single 'server' pc, running a second OS will use up more resources than making it work in the base itself.

Thanks nonetheless fella, appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread