+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, TTC + ThinkPad Power Manager dont play nice in Technical; Hi All, Got a very tricky one that I've been battling at for some time now. It's a long story ...
    Thank Post

TTC + ThinkPad Power Manager dont play nice

Hi All,

Got a very tricky one that I've been battling at for some time now.

It's a long story so I'll try my best to summarize.

Basically I set up a new general purpose image on a T61 initially for use for the teachers laptops. Then we needed one for the IBM desktops around the school at the front of classrooms, (these are 8808's). So I simply ported the image across, (I know, first mistake ) and it worked.

Once it was on the desktop I went about removing unwanted drivers and apps specific to the T61 etc, then installed the drivers + additional apps for the 8808's and reimaged.

This worked fine and in the last holiday's I imaged all the teaching computers around the classrooms.

We use Total Traffic Control or TTC (Made by Lightspeed Systems) for web filtering here. TTC basically picks up who is logged in, what computer it is and writes these values to HKLM\Software\Lightspeed Systems\User agent\Current user.

The problem I've got is that after deploying the image around the school, we've realized that TTC is not writing who the currently logged in user is to this location in the registry and therefore only giving the currently logged on user the minimal internet access available, even for domain admins etc.

I've managed to pinpoint the cause down to the Thinkpad Power management utility.
    If I image an 8808 with an adapted T43 image (that came from the T61 originally) and contains all the power management stuff, TTC works. As soon as I remove the Thinkpad Power manager and reboot it no longer detects who is logged in, but if I reinstall it and reboot it starts working again.

However, on an 8808 image that has had a little more work done on it previously, simply installing the Thinkpad power manager, does not fix the problem. Either do several of the other Thinkpad apps that I've tried.

So the path I've taken now is to try and use the process monitor to identify what changes are being made to the registry when I install/uninstall the Power management stuff.
    The problem I've now come up against is I don't really know how to use the process monitor to identify this. I'm getting way too much information to find what I want. Does anybody know how to filter this down to installer specific stuff?
    So far I've tried using a HKLM filter and tried the boot logging, but neither gave me much usefull info.

Has anyone ever come across this kind of problem before?

Also, I do realize I shouldn't have taken this path in the first place. I guess I've learn t the hard way, but now I've still gotta try and salvage the situation.

thanks in advance.

Thank Post

Question

Anyone got any experience with any of this?

I'm still at a loss as to what to do next. As I said, I know I shouldn't have tried making a cross platform image, so I won't be doing it again, but for now I need to try and fix this one.

Does anyone have any idea's as to how to rescue this silly situation.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post

Question

Anyone have any idea's???

Thank Post

Thumbs down

Ok I give up.

Guess I'll just have to go back to the drawing board and make a new image to deploy in the next holiday's.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread