+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Website hits count question in Technical; The old head requested every computer in the school to have our website as the home page. The new head ...

Thank Post

Website hits count question

The old head requested every computer in the school to have our website as the home page. The new head now is asking that this be changed as the "hit count" for our website is not accurate because of this.

Am i right in thinking that the hit count from our school will only be 6 different ip addresses (our LEA has 6 smoothwall servers i think) and obviously not count every visit to the page on every single computer in the school?

Or are some hit counters designed to count the amount of times the website is visited regardless of whether its from the same ip address or not?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    The old head requested every computer in the school to have our website as the home page. The new head now is asking that this be changed as the "hit count" for our website is not accurate because of this.

Am i right in thinking that the hit count from our school will only be 6 different ip addresses (our LEA has 6 smoothwall servers i think) and obviously not count every visit to the page on every single computer in the school?

Or are some hit counters designed to count the amount of times the website is visited regardless of whether its from the same ip address or not?
    Bit of scripted will sort this out, find the 6 IP's and exclude them from being counted as hits. Might have to google around

Thank Post
    the problem is though that this has been raised from a governers meeting, so what im really asking i suppose is, do hit counters only take into account unique ip's as a hit (therefore meaning the school will only be responsbile for 6) or count the number of hits from the same ip address as a hit so effectivly it can be counting 500 hits from the same ip address each day?

Thank Post
    Yes, and depends on your setup. Some ignore the same IP for a 24hour period, others log each visit.

5. Thanks to ahuxham from:

farquea (5th November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread