+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, adprep /forestprep /domainprep in Technical; We want to add a 2003 domain controller to our existing network. I know we need to use adprep /forestprep ...
    Thank Post

adprep /forestprep /domainprep

We want to add a 2003 domain controller to our existing network. I know we need to use adprep /forestprep and /domainprep. The Microsoft documentation recommends doing this in a test environment. Any ideas on the best way of doing this? Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: adprep /forestprep /domainprep

I just did it. Many here have done, and none have had any reported problems. Its quite straight forwards and easy to do.

Thank Post

For a test environent just get a PC with a gig of memory and download a 30 day trial of vmware. You can then install a few servers on that and experiment to your hearts content!

Thank Post

Has anyone used Microsoft Virtual Server for testing migration scenarios? There is a tool called Virtual Server Migration Toolkit available from Microsoft that enables you to migrate production machines to virtual machines and try out upgrades etc. to see if they work. It looks like an ideal solution. Any thoughts?

Thank Post

I havent used the microsoft stuff but I used VMware to migrate from NT to 2003. I used it to try my domain rename as well. All this while the main servers can remain unharmed until you are ready.
    The addition of being able to copy your machines over exactly sound good though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I use Microsft Virtual PC (Don't try virtual server, its a bit like web based TS and uses exactly the same images as VPC). You can successfully create a server, join it to the domain, promote it then run it locally and run forestprep etc. I did this with Ric a few weeks ago where I made a virtual DC, created the GPs, imported users etc at home then reintroduced the DC the next day to the real LAN and it replicated all of the changes I'd done at home successfully.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I use Microsft Virtual PC (Don't try virtual server, its a bit like web based TS and uses exactly the same images as VPC). You can successfully create a server, join it to the domain, promote it then run it locally and run forestprep etc. I did this with Ric a few weeks ago where I made a virtual DC, created the GPs, imported users etc at home then reintroduced the DC the next day to the real LAN and it replicated all of the changes I'd done at home successfully.
    So, we create a 2000 server on a virtual PC machine, join it to the domain and upgrade it to a domain controller. It will then import our Active Directory structure. We then take it off the network and run /forestprep and /domainprep on it. What happens if it all goes wrong on the virtual 2000 server? The existing domain is looking for a domain controller that is now not available? Or am I missing something? (very probable!).

The advantage of the Virtual Server product with the Migration Toolkit seems to be that you don't have to join a virtual server to your domain at all, you merely migrate a working server to it to do your testing on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If it all goes wrong on the virtual server then it will not affect the network. I see your point though. Server 2k is very bad at not being able to remove a missing DC whilst Server 2003 does this without breaking a sweat and you can't install Server 2003 until....etc.
    Do you have anything on your current network which would affect domaninprep?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by altecsole
    What happens if it all goes wrong on the virtual 2000 server? The existing domain is looking for a domain controller that is now not available? Or am I missing something? (very probable!).
    If you were to promote it to a DC in the current network, it wouldn't be the only DC there so I would assume that if it dropped off the network, your main DC would still be running the show and wouldn't miss it.

Thank Post

So, we create a 2000 server on a virtual PC machine, join it to the domain and upgrade it to a domain controller. It will then import our Active Directory structure. We then take it off the network and run /forestprep and /domainprep on it. What happens if it all goes wrong on the virtual 2000 server? The existing domain is looking for a domain controller that is now not available? Or am I missing something? (very probable!).
    Correct but if It's holding no roles such as GC or FSMO the domain be too bothered. Once you have taken it off you will need to mess with these a little

The advantage of the Virtual Server product with the Migration Toolkit seems to be that you don't have to join a virtual server to your domain at all, you merely migrate a working server to it to do your testing on.
    Seems like the best solution definately.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH

Seems like the best solution definately.
    There is an 180 day evaluation version of Virtual Server 2005 available on the Microsoft website so I think I'll download it and give it a go - it's got to be worth a try.

Thank Post

You could always save a snapshot of the server before you cause it to bork. That way you will still have the origional 'virtual-DC' within your domain - negating the problems with having to delete DCs in 2K.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread