+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Windows Thread, Redirected My Documents and RECYCLER in Technical; Hey all, Just hit upon this annoyance (we'e only just noticed it). We have redirected student folders via DFS - ...
  1. #1
    azrael78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    383
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Redirected My Documents and RECYCLER

    Hey all,

    Just hit upon this annoyance (we'e only just noticed it).

    We have redirected student folders via DFS - however we seem to have lots of RECYCLER folders, almost like a network-recycle-bin.

    Is there any way to turn this off as it's using up their quota when they believe they are deleting things.

    Thanks,

    Az

  2. #2

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,543
    Thank Post
    831
    Thanked 610 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    Ok just read the topic title as
    Redirect My Documents to Recycler!!

    Anyway, I dont know of anyway to redirect the recycler as thats a system folder
    Isn't there a GPO to perma-delete files and not send to the recycler?

  3. #3
    azrael78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    383
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Ok just read the topic title as
    Redirect My Documents to Recycler!!

    Anyway, I dont know of anyway to redirect the recycler as thats a system folder
    Isn't there a GPO to perma-delete files and not send to the recycler?
    Now your mis-read was amusing... I like that idea rather alot

    In any case, yeah you can disable the recycle bin via GPO but if I do that - it disables it locally too which is fine and well but people delete files and then say 'Uuuuh I didnt mean to delete that...' and are reliant on the recycle bin.

    I wonder who's great idea it was to turn on network-based recycle-bins and then not include a method to turn it off?

    Az

  4. #4

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,543
    Thank Post
    831
    Thanked 610 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    Why not enable the Volume Shadow Copy Service (aka Previous Versions)?
    You can set the schedule so it backs up regularly - though dont set it too often! lol
    And tell them to be very careful when deleting!

  5. #5

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,724
    Thank Post
    696
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    393
    This bugged me for a long time at my last school. One day after asking one of our more prolific students to empty his 2GB recycle bin, he asked why we didn't empty them automatically via a script. I replied that I would only be comfortable deleting files after they had been in the recycle bin for a certain amount of time (e.g. after 30 days), but that I didn't know any way to programmatically retrieve the deletion date of an item in the recycle bin.

    Two weeks later the crafty bugger had found a way to do it, and the attached login script is the end result.

    Caveats/info:
    • This was written by a student, with some minor modifications and refactoring by me. Neither of us are professional programmers. We used it in my previous school without incident, but use at your own risk.
    • This script will delete data (of course), but potentially not the data you intend if it goes wrong. Test before deploying to a production environment.
    • By default, files deleted for more than 30 days will be removed. This is adjustable via the MIN_AGE_TO_DELETE constant in the script.
    • A log of deleted files/folders is created in the Application Data directory.
    • Tested on XP and Vista, but not Windows 7.


    This more than anything else taught me the value of utilising the keen and able students you have at your school. I wasn't able to give him any academic credit for the work, but I did send home a formal letter of commendation to his parents.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. 3 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

    drewp (20th March 2013), elsiegee40 (18th November 2009), zag (8th March 2011)

  7. #6
    azrael78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    383
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Why not enable the Volume Shadow Copy Service (aka Previous Versions)?
    You can set the schedule so it backs up regularly - though dont set it too often! lol
    And tell them to be very careful when deleting!
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This bugged me for a long time at my last school. One day after asking one of our more prolific students to empty his 2GB recycle bin, he asked why we didn't empty them automatically via a script. I replied that I would only be comfortable deleting files after they had been in the recycle bin for a certain amount of time (e.g. after 30 days), but that I didn't know any way to programmatically retrieve the deletion date of an item in the recycle bin.

    Two weeks later the crafty bugger had found a way to do it, and the attached login script is the end result.

    Caveats/info:
    • This was written by a student, with some minor modifications and refactoring by me. Neither of us are professional programmers. We used it in my previous school without incident, but use at your own risk.
    • This script will delete data (of course), but potentially not the data you intend if it goes wrong. Test before deploying to a production environment.
    • By default, files deleted for more than 30 days will be removed. This is adjustable via the MIN_AGE_TO_DELETE constant in the script.
    • A log of deleted files/folders is created in the Application Data directory.
    • Tested on XP and Vista, but not Windows 7.


    This more than anything else taught me the value of utilising the keen and able students you have at your school. I wasn't able to give him any academic credit for the work, but I did send home a formal letter of commendation to his parents.
    Thanks for this guys.

    Have been instructed by manglement to progmatically clear them as we don't want the users getting to them. (They can't really anyhow as they are hidden)

    Shadow copies would be nice but with the current setup we have, it may not be the best solution - boss is also against VSS

    Az

  8. #7

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,543
    Thank Post
    831
    Thanked 610 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    ...boss is also against VSS
    Can I ask why?

  9. #8
    azrael78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    383
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    He's rather keep the whole 'restore from backup' facility inside the IT department as he doesn't entirely trust the end users to not restore over what they currently are working on.

    Az

  10. #9
    chrisredfield93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    230
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Well when I was doing my apprenticship the school had volume shadow copy, but only select staff had it, and the pupils and the non seleted staff cant do it. Also found this was handy with profiles too

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,144
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 518 Times in 447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    121
    By default, "my documents" always gets a recycle bin, even on the network. You can either tidy up after the event using a script like the one above or you can turn it off altogether - look up NukeOnDelete (serious registry value!!)

  12. #11

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,081
    Thank Post
    1,683
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,501 Posts
    Rep Power
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    Shadow copies would be nice but with the current setup we have, it may not be the best solution - boss is also against VSS

    Az
    We have Volume Shadow Copt, but I don't advertise it's there. It's Mrs Gee's bit of magic recovering data that's been deleted or lost... I really don't want my users to become dependent on it to make up for their incapabilities.

    As for clearing things out. I already have a script (via edugeek) for clearing out cookies more than 30 days old... I shall be testing this one for the recycler. Ta!

  13. #12
    chazzy2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,723
    Thank Post
    206
    Thanked 254 Times in 206 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    To bring this thread alive again I've run into this issue today and it's really easy to resolve. On the file server just check the recycle bins properties and you can control the amount of space the (recycler) folder takes up or even turn it off. Incase someone already knows this can they tell me if it will now automatically remove the recycler contents for me or do I have to remove them myself?

  14. #13

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,724
    Thank Post
    696
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    393
    That setting only applies to all users on Server 2003. On 2008 it was changed to a per-user setting. However, there is a per-user Group Policy setting to control it:

    User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer, Maximum allowed Recycle Bin size

  15. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

    chazzy2501 (14th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Showing hidden files in recycler
    By zag in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th April 2010, 02:14 PM
  2. Changing ReDirected My Documents
    By tscnmuk in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th February 2008, 09:45 PM
  3. Redirected My Documents
    By faza in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th January 2008, 08:14 AM
  4. Redirected My Documents confusion
    By Andie in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th October 2007, 11:00 AM
  5. Redirected My Documents security problem
    By netadmin in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd May 2007, 09:14 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •