+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Profile Error in Technical; Hi, On an admin PC this morning, the user got a message when she logged on that the profile is ...

Thank Post

Profile Error

Hi,

On an admin PC this morning, the user got a message when she logged on that the profile is not accessable. You might not have permission etc.

No more connections can be made to this remote PC.

Pressing ok to the message and browsing to shared folders etc works fine. She gets the mapped drivers, internet works, just not loaded the desktop.

Any ideas.

Thank Post
    Hi

I would rename the local profile on the pc and let the roaming one download again, if this still fails rename both local and roaming and let it create a new one to see if that fixes it, if it does, then you can merge the items from the old profile into the new one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    As Scorpio says, it sounds like a corrupt profile.

What he says is right. Try deleting the profile on the local PC first, but I suspect that the server held copy will have become corrupt too as it is copied back to the server as soon as the user logs off.

Rename the server end version and get the user to logon again, creating a new profile.
    Then get them to logoff, which copies the new profile back to the server.
    You can now rescue things like Favorites from the renamed profile and copy them into the new one. However, you must delete the local copy of the profile after doing this otherwise the amended roaming profile won't be copied down from the server to the local PC.

When the profile gets stuffed (technical term ) like this the first sign, at my school, is the task bar being grey instead of blue. I have trained some of my users to recognise it and they now don't logoff if it happens. I then lean on the power button to power off the machine without logging off properly, reboot, delete the local profile and invariably the user logs on fine this time round. It saves messing around.

Thank Post
    Hi

Yes, dont forget you wont be able to rename the local profile if you have just logged off from that user, as it locks it, unless you have UPHclean installed. you will need to reboot and then do it via UNC to the machine c$ share or locally at the workstation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread