+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MSI Studio... in Technical; Now ok so this program does a reasonable job when it comes to editing MSI packages and I'm well aware ...
    Thank Post

MSI Studio...

Now ok so this program does a reasonable job when it comes to editing MSI packages and I'm well aware that I need to climb this learning curve so I may well be criticising from afar BUT..

When a repackaging system creates an ini file with 160,000 entries because it manages to duplicate every single entry it has in the original ini 398 times thus crashing itself you have to wonder if perhaps there's a problem.

Then you have the "repair" functionality for certain ICE errors that isn't even mentioned until you check the website.. Try it and what happens.. Sweet FA is what... Did I just dream it or was it a "wishful thinking" function that just looks like it should do something and you feel better? Gah!

Oh and the name of the blasted thing has changed yet again.. Can't they make up their mind?

Now they're providing a beta that which will soon see the product line split to "Standard" and "Pro"... Guess where all the new functionality goes? No prizes there then... Of course I may be inferring too much here but I doubt very much whether existing maintenance license holders will get the improved functionality as part of their agreement..

No offense but when a customer has forked out for a 3 year maintenance license that will include all updates for the program during that timeframe and they fork the product in this way you can't help but see red and figure this is just a "clever" way to get more money from the punters. Also makes me wonder if the functionality on this version will essentially become stale while Pro loops on ahead... but then I'm ranting so wrong or right I can be irritable :P

Oh and let's not forget that the current product requires a LOT of hand holding to get repackaging done correctly anyway as evidenced by my recent repack of Granada Learnings toolkit packages. It missed over 400 files, borked the registry root setting by creating a double forward slash as the C:\\ value and a bunch of other things... 4 hours of careful editing and i was able to get it working but then only thanks to an inspired use of examdiff to compare the working install on the snapshot PC with the MSISource files and work out what is actually missing.

Not a picnic and moving me more and more to forget about any earlier thought of recommending their product(s).

Thank Post

Re: MSI Studio...

That feels better... *deep breaths*...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Merrily using MakeMSI here..

http://users.cyberone.com.au/dbareis/makemsi.htm

Make sure you grab MSIDIFF too, it sounds like that does more what you want to do than just MakeMSI does on it's own.

Thank Post

Tut tut - double posting

Thank Post

Do yourself a favour and get Wise Package Studio!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

...and an overdraft

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    ...and an overdraft
    ROFLMAO... Oh how true...

Thanks AJ.. I would but right now the cost to my pocket vs' the cost to my sanity are still weighted toward me cash flow..

Something for the future though..

Thank Post

I am such a ruddy idiot!

At this point in time I feel it's the bit where I have to confess the error of my ways and lay myself open to the ridicule and, well... the winces from those of you who have been in my shoes.

I've just discovered the immortal truth of RTFM! and found that, what I thought was a pretty standard option is in fact a pretty vital one which would explain why I was having so many problems with some of the applications I was trying to repackage.

Turns out that DAMSIS (or Damned s**ding system as I've taken to calling it) actually has two modes for tracking installs for repackaging..

1. File monitoring which is what I've had on the whole time, which seems to track what windows sees being done.. It's faster but somewhat prone to errors or mistakes.

2. Standard before and after snapshot style checking.. which is more reliable.

Guess which one I didn't know about... ops: ops:

In my defense the manual was something of a mess when I first opened it up to look and took a while to read it.. and.. and.. and... erm.. it was.. oh sod it.. I'm human.. *sigh*.

Learn from my mistakes oh mortals because I'm sure I'll be learning from yours so careful lest you mock too soon :P

Thank Post

Wise Package Studio also has 2 methods of tracking (Smart Monitor / Snapshot). On the course I went on we were advised to use both simultaneously and then spend hours filtering out all the duplicate registry entries. SmartMonitor is great for finding out what went on during the installation and not just seeing the state at the end.

Having used WPS for a while now though, I only use SmartMonitor when a snapshot capture fails to capture all relevant info.

Thank Post

Hey moderator could this thread be moved to the Windows forum. Despite OPA's frustrations there alot of interesting points that desreve a wider audience, if that's Ok with you Contink.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat
    Hey moderator could this thread be moved to the Windows forum. Despite OPA's frustrations there alot of interesting points that desreve a wider audience, if that's Ok with you Contink.
    In truth I've popped a few bits and pieces in the wiki already but if the mods feel it should be moved.. suits me..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread