+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Hanging applying personal settings in Technical; I'm getting desperate for any ideas here now! The problem I'm having is random PCs keep hanging at the login ...

Thank Post

Hanging applying personal settings

I'm getting desperate for any ideas here now!

The problem I'm having is random PCs keep hanging at the login stage saying 'Applying personal settings'. This has happened on at least 50 PCs now, twice on one or two of them.

Theres nothing in common with the users or PCs. Different accounts, PCs, SP2 or SP3, different subnets, times of day etc etc but once its hung at this point they can only power the pc off and try again (longest I've waited is an hour)

Odd thing is, when the PC is hung in this state, I can still ping the NIC, and remotely manage it using the computer management MMC. I can't get a tasklist (tasklist /s) as this sits waiting on the admin pc side.

So it appears the PC is hung, but not crashed completely. But its becoming a problem now as its random but happening on all types and ages of PCs.

Checking the event viewer shows nothing abnormal, in the period the PC is hung, nothing is logged. Looking at the userenv.log file shows nothing other than the occasional message that does vary from PC to PC.

I enabled verbose logging, but it only shows the Applying Personal Settings at the point it hangs.

Users run a couple of simple scripts on login (have done for years) but these don't appear to be the problem as the server where the scripts are located shows that there is no access to the relevant share at the time.

Any ideas? I've spent days on this and I'm stumped!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Are you using roaming profiles and if yes, how big are the profiles?

Thank Post
    Sorry, should have specified that!

No roaming profiles, just local default profiles and group policy to assign user settings.

Basic Policy for settings, one for Office and one for software restriction policies. None of which have changed in the last few months (problem has been for around 4 weeks now)

Thank Post
    Do you do folder redirection and/or GPO Internet Explorer branding?
    (Btw, I'm asking because I have the same problem and am trying to narrow it down as well!)

Thank Post
    Had this and still do to a lesser extent. I use CC3 here though so i believe it is RM caused. I know though that there are other causes of this that are not RM related. On CC3 we found that if we ctrl alt del then logged off, then logged back on the problem stopped for that user 99% of the time. Also found that at he login screen if you can get to task manager you could push it through by finding the wscript.exe process i think and ending it. It is to do with the settings for their profile i think with things such as windows media player and internet explorer etc..

When we reset a profile or delete someones profile we tend to see it rear its ugly head again. Had RM work on this for us for weeks but never really solved it. Google it though because ours never went past this point even if we left it on all day and night. I saw some good posts on it on various google searches when i looked it up for us a while ago. Forgot them now though soz.

TheLibrarian
    I've only ever seen this once, it was a corrupt profile that even manually removing couldn't fix.

The proof was creating a new user.

The new user never experienced the problems.

I *think* there was something stuck in the registry, but I couldn't find it (didn't spend much time searching).

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Yes we do use folder redirection and IE branding! Maybe its something to do with that policy? Strange how its suddenly just started.

It seems unlikely to be the user accounts, as its mutiple users across multiple machines (profiles on the machine are removed on every boot)

Usually when it has hung the user can login normally after a reboot.

Thank Post
    could be a dns issue. especially if there's been some reimaging or renaming of computers connected to the domain recently.

unfortunately the sum of my knowledge about troubleshooing dns problems is scavenging stale records on the dns server and ipconfig /flushdns on the client. But i don't think it's necessarily going to cure this problem permanently. IT's a right PITA, and if you do find a solution, let me know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenWonder View Post
    Yes we do use folder redirection and IE branding! Maybe its something to do with that policy? Strange how its suddenly just started.

It seems unlikely to be the user accounts, as its mutiple users across multiple machines (profiles on the machine are removed on every boot)

Usually when it has hung the user can login normally after a reboot.
    To tidy up / narrow down from some of the above comments, the network I'm experiencing it on is non-RM (completely vanilla). 2003 domain, majority of clients XP SP3.
    Folder redirection for all areas. IE branding including proxy settings controlled by GPO.

The reason I mentioned both of those was actually about a month of reading similar posts on here and narrowing down to situation I had the same.
    It's not a huge problem for us, but I have witnessed logon times go up at least 50-100% which although I'm not getting complaints just makes me uncomfortable!

I'm offsite today, but will try and change some things around during next week. (If you beat me to it let me know how it goes?)

Thank Post
    I'm determind to crack this now I've got started!

DNS seems to be functioning fine. We dish out DNS settings via DHCP and use the LEA DNS servers as forwarders. This all works fine and theres no issues with PCs in general, just maybe 1-3 a day hang when logging in.

Like mb2k01 I'm not getting complaints yet - but its bugging me and it worries me that its going to get worse!

Thank Post
    We sound like we have very similar configurations!
    I'll be back in the office in about an hour so I might knock up a couple of new OU's and GP's...
    Of course, if you're keen and already doing it I might hold off until I know if it's worked for you!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Had this and still do to a lesser extent. I use CC3 here though so i believe it is RM caused. I know though that there are other causes of this that are not RM related. On CC3 we found that if we ctrl alt del then logged off, then logged back on the problem stopped for that user 99% of the time. Also found that at he login screen if you can get to task manager you could push it through by finding the wscript.exe process i think and ending it. It is to do with the settings for their profile i think with things such as windows media player and internet explorer etc..

When we reset a profile or delete someones profile we tend to see it rear its ugly head again. Had RM work on this for us for weeks but never really solved it. Google it though because ours never went past this point even if we left it on all day and night. I saw some good posts on it on various google searches when i looked it up for us a while ago. Forgot them now though soz.
    when we've created a sysprep image in the past, and deployed it, we notice some local user accounts seemed to take longer than others to load the browser customizations, windows media, windows update setting etc. sometimes interminably long

i'm wondering whether this problem affects domain user accounts when they first log on and then persists on each subsequent restart and logon. wonder if it is something wrong with the default or all users profile ?

could be worth investigating. as simply reimaging may not cure the problem if this is the root of the problem.

Thank Post
    Some of these PCs affected aren't even from an image - they were OEM XP installs that we've added SP2, Sp3 to over time.

The local user profile is ok when they reboot and try again - very strange.

Its as if some login script is hanging, but nothing shows up anywhere!

Thank Post
    Well I'm officially stumped by this problem now.

Its still happening and theres no evidence of anything actually going wrong.

The only thing I can assume is that its related to the users profiles, not the machine or software policies as it only hangs during the 'applying' stage.

Does anyone know if the 'applying' stage is where the policies are written to the local machine, or is it where the policies are being read from AD?

Thank Post
    I had a similar issue ages ago, i can't quite remember but i believe it was due to either sophos being gay (technical term), or windows update service causing the machines to crash...

I'll see if i wrote down what it was somewhere, bare with me...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast