+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Hanging applying personal settings in Technical; I did wonder about Sophos because we had an issue with one update (several years ago now) that caused a ...

Thank Post
    I did wonder about Sophos because we had an issue with one update (several years ago now) that caused a lot of PCs to hang (around 70% of them)

However this was fixed by the next Sophos update so it only really caused hassle for a day or so. This is happenly randomly and has been for a few months now.

We also use WSUS, but I only push updates out during the holidays - unless theres a really important one and I haven't done that for a while.

Thank Post
    We're also using Sophos and have experienced similar problems, at times! Could that be the common thread?

Thank Post
    I get this occasionally ... same symptoms.

The fault is created during a reset button press during logon or logoff.

I saw this happen on a working computer suite, where students were asked to logoff and reboot and half the class just reached out and pressed the reset button.

This caused profiles to hang on the follow logon attempt, seeing the problem I just reimaged and this fixed the problem in 15 minuites. If I hadnt have known that I would have gone into diagnose mode and tried to find a logical answer. Since I keep an up to date image on a patition I just pop in my USB and reimage and its all back up in 15 mins.

There are probebly other ways to create the fault, but im my experience this is what explains it most of the time.

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem to this. The cause of our issue was our dns settings. I know you've already said that your DNS is working but how is it setup in DHCP?

We have one internal DNS server, and this forwards to our LA dns servers for external name resolution. We used to have our internal DNS server and an external LA DNS server ip address set up in our DHCP leases, (on recommendation from the LA) but this was the cause of the problem. I read somewhere at the time that more than one ip adress in you ip configuration could cause your pc to hang at "Apply Personal Settings". As soon as we changed the config so that only our internal DNS server IP was specified in DHCP it was ok.

Does this ring any bells?

Thank Post
    Hi

We have had this problem for various reasons some are below.

Sophos is broke.
    The time on the pc is not the same as the serve so kerberos does not work.
    A switch is causing problems because of amount of traffic from a machine spyware.
    A different version of internet explorer and or the wrong adm used in group policy.
    An administrator has not logged in what genuine advantage
    Dhcp server giving out wrong info or client not getting correct ip but has a profile on the machine so starts to log but cannot find the server.
    Machine has not been syspreped or newsided after a ghost.
    Dns problems
    Corrupt profiles on the client machine
    Huge files stored on desktop when using roaming profiles not your problem
    I have also seen it if windows or internet explorer is corrupt.

Just some ideas.

Richard

Thank Post
    Maybe Sophos is a common thread here.

We have a single DHCP server here which points to the two AD integrated DNS servers. These DNS servers use the LEA DNS servers as forwarders (this hasn't changed in the last couple of years, but the problem has only started occuring in the last few months)

Its almost impossible to diagnose as I don't know what PC will be affected next!

EDIT: We're using IE8 ADM templates when the PCs are using IE7 (we're rolling out IE8 later on) but this was done only a few weeks ago, well after the problem actually started.
    Last edited by GoldenWonder; 17th November 2009 at 02:40 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have this problem as well and it just started recently. Will just hang on "applying settings" for a couple of minutes then corrupt the profile. Only fix is to delete the local profile and start again. I also turned on verbous logging and it doesn't hang on anything in particular. Actually I'm very glad to hear others have this problem as it had me stumped for a while and very annoying.

I run symantec so doubt its not an anti virus problem.

Couple of things I've done recently and not seen the problem since

- Uninstall Office 2007 SP2 (it started happening when we installed this)
    - Remove roaming profiles (pointless anyway for teachers accounts)
    - Check all DNS settings.
    - Remove internet explorer branding (I tested this many years ago and just forgot I did it)

Touch wood I have not had a report of this in a week. I was getting 3 or 4 a day couple of weeks ago.
    Last edited by zag; 18th November 2009 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Couple of things I've done recently and not seen the problem since

- Uninstall Office 2007 SP2 (it started happening when we installed this)
    - Remove roaming profiles (pointless anyway for teachers accounts)
    - Check all DNS settings.
    - Remove internet explorer branding (I tested this many years ago and just forgot I did it)
    We get this problem from time to time... Symantec here too

- Mandatory profiles would definitely fix it, but isn't necessarily practical for all users, unfortunately
    - DNS- agreed, but we still get it
    - IE branding not used here, so if it ay be a contributory factor, but not a cause.

Thank Post
    When you say removing IE branding, are you removing any policy that refers to the IE Maintenance Settings?

We use the IE Maintenance settings to configure the proxy etc, I've removed the Browser title etc but the problem still occurs.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just removed everything I could do. You know when its done because when you log on it should not show "applying branding policy" when you have verbose logging turned on.

To be honest, this problem seems to have vanished since I removed the network copies of peoples profiles. Solved a lot of other problems as well doing that, I have no idea why I thought roaming profiles was a good idea in the first place
    Last edited by zag; 19th November 2009 at 12:23 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12