+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Image to different sized disk in Technical; What free software will image a disk to a usb drive then allow me to image back to a different ...
    Thank Post

Image to different sized disk

What free software will image a disk to a usb drive then allow me to image back to a different sized disk. Must not need a cd as thats what is the problem, the laptop I'm trying to get up and running has a faulty one and will read the first of the original restore disks but refuses to read fully the second!
    Just tried partimage but it refuses as the original partition image is larger than the one I want to put it on.

Thank Post
    Clonezilla?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    What free software will image a disk to a usb drive then allow me to image back to a different sized disk. Must not need a cd as thats what is the problem, the laptop I'm trying to get up and running has a faulty one and will read the first of the original restore disks but refuses to read fully the second!
    Just tried partimage but it refuses as the original partition image is larger than the one I want to put it on.
    Could you not jsut use a usb cd drive?

Thank Post
    The laptop will not boot from a usb drive so really need to clone from a floppy from installed hd to external usb (thats if the image software will find the usb drive!) Thanks for the replys will investigate clonezilla.

Thank Post
    Well tried and Clonezilla worked to an extent...except I wanted to clone to a smalle HD :-(, ah well...sorted it in the end, put HD in another laptop with working CD Drive, installed using original restore disks, returned HD to original laptop, continued installing software from USB cd Drive...Job Done...(before anyone asks, the original laptop would not recognise the usb HD or CD at boot time thats why I needed an OS on first, there in lay the problem. Thanks for the support once again.

Thank Post
    What about HDClone?

I used it in the past to clone to an image file then back to a disk, but it'll do it to disks or partitions too...

Thank Post
    The key to the problem turned out to be as Isaid I was trying to go from a 40Gb disk to a 30Gb disk and I don't think any options would do that, but as I said a bit of lateral thinking won the day. Great what a bike ride does to clear the mind and get a few ideas roaming about that big space between my ears! Bit like today actually, wondering why the backups were failing, then realising I had set a scheduled backup to run every day instead of just on a Monday, hence why it was complaining it could not have access to files etc...because the tuesday, wednesday etc jobs were trying to do the same thing Oh well, at lleast thats a good start to the week...all down hill from now on then..started of with a good sunday night watching Jenson fullfill his dream...is it all downhill from now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread