+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WSUS and Windows installer in Technical; Just started looking at the WSUS as we (as I have just discovered it was installed) a very old version ...
    Thank Post

WSUS and Windows installer

Just started looking at the WSUS as we (as I have just discovered it was installed) a very old version on our server. Didn't even know it had been set up when we had the server don years ago, anyway it didn't work as there were spelling mistakes in address's etc. Now got the lastes WSUS software, installed the latest .Net software, just about to install the WSUS software and thought about the clients as I'm sure some will have older versions of the Windows installer software on them. Looked on Microsoft for an msi, found what I though was the file bit it says its an .MSU not msi....
    Windows Installer
    are they the same of can someone point me in the right direction. Thought I'd best get them up to date first then the new version of WSUS willnot complain.

Any thing to watch out for from you experienced users, tips help?

Thank Post
    We use the most recent version of WSUS here (3.2) and have never had to seperatly upgrade the windows installer - any required updates are pushed out by the WSUS server.

3. Thanks to Chris_Jones from:

TechSupp (14th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, will take the plunge and set it up. Just a thought, when the clients get the updates do they need to be logged on or can they be just sat at a login screen and the update occur anyway. Sorry if its a bit of a simple question but never had anything to do with WSUS before.

Thank Post
    the updates will filter though in the background sing BITS, this will seemlessly use any spare bandwidth to send the updates. The updates will then install at the time you set in the group policy.

Thank Post
    ...causing little upset to the PC's? (they are quite well out of date so will do all pre SP3 packs first) Is SP3 OK now with redirected folders etc as originally I understood it to break these so have stayed away from it so far and it may have to wait for a longer holiday to do.

Thank Post
    they will require a reboot at some stage, and we all know pc's awaiting a reboot can be a lil unstable, but you should see little in the way of side effects, i'd wager you'll not see any.

as for sp3, the only thing i know it breaks is wired authenication 802.1x. you could always deploy it to just a few machines and see if it breaks, its always good to have a waterfall system with updates so you can test them. eg

group1 - all updates,
    group2 - security updates, service packs
    group3 - no updates.

8. Thanks to strawberry from:

Thank Post

Just let them know!

Deployed WSUS when I first joined here and realised the clients were not up to date with patching. Just be aware if you have a similar situation with lots of clients on a wireless network that are well out of date when it comes to updates, they "may" get some serious delays on startup/shutdown/login/logout. I wrote an email before deploy below which may help
    you.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dear All,

It has come to my attention that many of the computers require various patches and security fixes that have been released by Microsoft. These are installed via the “Windows Update” functionality of Windows, which I am sure many of you are familiar with. These must be installed on computers for all sorts of reasons but primarily to ensure the security and safety of the network. I have therefore set things up in such a way that these will install automatically in the background on all computers across the school as required.

If updates are required by your computer, you will notice a small yellow shield icon appear in the bottom right hand corner, near the time display on your desktop. I would urge you to simply ignore this and carry on using your computer as normal. When you next shut down your computer from the start menu, they will then install.

If you decide to click on the yellow shield and manually install these updates, please be aware that this will likely prompt you to restart your computer and may temporarily adversely affect applications such as Microsoft Outlook and Word etc. that you are running. I would therefore strongly discourage you from doing this to avoid problems.

Whilst I know it can often be convenient to leave computers logged in and locked rather than turning them off in the evenings, could I kindly ask that you avoid this and shut them down fully. This ensures that the login and logoff process take place, providing essential bits and bobs to help keep the computers up to date and running properly. Plus of course, you will be doing your bit to help the environment!

Our testing has shown that no major issues will arise from these updates being pushed out, but l have no doubt that little niggles will occur! I apologise in advance for the inconvenience these may cause but please be assured that we are actively monitoring the network and will do everything possible to minimise any disruption. If you have any problems, questions or are unsure of anything at all, please do contact

10. Thanks to westy from:

Thank Post
    Fortunately the only wireless devices we have are the netbooks and I may plug them in to the network to do the updates on them at a holiday period so I should be OK. Good idea about the testing though, will kepp that in mind.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    To answer your question I believe if you were running Windows 2000 SP3 the installer and Automatic Updates would be a problem, but anything XP SP2 or above should be absolutely fine. I would uninstall and delete the old WSUS install. It could well be taking up gigabytes for no reason!

Thank Post
    Yes, got that far, had to uninstall WSUS v1 before it would let me get anywhare near installing V3, so done that and had to install .NET as well, so now ready to install. It has previously downloaded alot of updates so they are in a directory I found, suppose I'd better delete them and let it start from afresh as I don't know if it uses the same folder for the v3 install although I think from reading the notes I have to specify the location at one stage.

Thank Post
    I would start from scratch. It may have updates which don't exist anymore, have been superseded or indeed products you may not even use!

15. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Will do, thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would start from scratch. It may have updates which don't exist anymore, have been superseded or indeed products you may not even use!
    Newer versions of WSUS have options to clear out unneeded items and such now

Thank Post
    Newer versions of WSUS have options to clear out unneeded items and such now
    Yes very true, although I think in the circumstances a new install would be more appropriate. Leaving WSUS to download overnight should download most updates, depending on your connection speed and selection of course!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    I agree fresh install would be the way to go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread