+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Locking down desktops and mandatory profiles in Technical; Thanks all for the latest replies. That clarifies things regarding NTUser.MAN. I'd still be interested in a specific GPO setting ...

Thank Post

Re: Locking down desktops and mandatory profiles

Thanks all for the latest replies. That clarifies things regarding NTUser.MAN. I'd still be interested in a specific GPO setting that stops icons being added to or moved on the desktop. I can't spot it and I've tried a fair few as well.

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The following setting stops things like moving the taskbar and quick bars around.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...-us/gp/126.asp

For the actual desktop and shortcuts I use folder redirection and set the folder permissions to read only. This also works for the start menu.

Thank Post

I agree with ICTNUT, except I don't know what he means when he says there's no profiles. I don't see how it's possible to do without profiles.

I used to use a mandatory profile (ntuser.man) but it caused a lot of problems. I now have a desktop heavily locked down with GP, and roaming profiles. It works for me.

As for the desktop: Just use folder redirection to redirect the all the pupils' desktops to a single shared folder. Make it 'read only' to them with NTFS permissions. Do the same with the start menu folder. This is what I do.

Andrew - I'll send you a dump of my pupils group policy object giving a thoroughly locked down desktop.

To summarise, use roaming profiles and GPO's to lock down the desktop. That's my advice anyway - it works for me.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked
    Andrew - I'll send you a dump of my pupils group policy object giving a thoroughly locked down desktop.
    Thanks for all the extra feedback. I've sent you an email with my address details.

Regards

Andy

Thank Post

It's on its way.

Thank Post

it's certainly possible

ran a place with 2500 kids and 800 workstations in this manner

Thank Post

@ICTNUT:

If you don't configure roaming profiles, what happens to any information stored in the user registry when users log off? Do you use the same strategy form staff and students?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

The way it works with AD is that a local profile is created using the default user profile as a template. This profile will be created on every PC they logon to from the local defualt user profile, or the network one if specified. As for the registry, that is what GPOs are. A customised registry for every user. The AD user logs on, takes whatever settings are set for the default user, including printers etc and creates a ntuser.dat file in the local profile. The rest of the profile information is provided via GPOs from active directory, and these will change as and when the GPO does. When the next user logs on they will have a different registary loaded for them depending on their group policy membership. Think of it as a new registery being loaded for every user.

Thank Post

Yes, but what I'm getting at is that when a user has a roaming profile, any changes he makes to his environment are saved in his personal registry. These settings are then available at any PC he logs on to. It would seem that unless you use roaming profiles (even if you redirect every possible folder; MyDocs,Desktop,StartMenu,AppData), anything saved in the user registry will be lost when the user logs off.

I wonder what the effect of this will be on applications like Microsoft Office, which install a significant number of user registry entries (courtesy of Windows Installer). Will these entries be recreated each time the user logs onto a new PC?

Thank Post

@ajbritton: You are correct, these changes are lost. This is precisely why you configure the 'Default User' profile by simply running and configuring all the apps first.

When a user logs on, the Default User profile is loaded (loading your standard settings) and you then delete the local user profile on logoff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

All together now...roaming profiles are evil, roaming profiles are evil, roaming profiles are evil.
    Repeat ad nausiem

Thank Post

OK, I'm getting there...

When I have used roaming/mandatory profiles, I have enabled to policy which automatically deletes local copies of roaming profiles. This presumably would have no effect on 'local' profiles. Each PC therefore will accumulate a set of profiles unless they are deleted in some way. What's the best course here? Leave them or delete them? If delete, what's the best way to automate it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I use Remote Profile Cleaner.

http://www.no-nonsens.nl/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that link Geoff. Blimey this is such a complicated subject! I have roaming profiles still. Are the policies left in place on each PC then local profiles - or am I confusing things here? I have the GPO setting on to delete cached copies of roaming profiles. I don't have instaled tho' the UPHClean utility, but still, it seems all users in some new machines i've added are filling up with everyone that's logged in's profiles.

Thank Post

*big eye rolling*

Havent we already talked about this?

@the people (DB :P) not using roaming profiles:

so what about when people open office for the first time? I take it that by opening it in the locally created default user (or network one) you achive this but imagine if you forget when creating a new image (or images)? the complaints soon would flood in.

Same goes with other apps that have to be run and go through a "mini-config" setup on first run (like office does).

Much easier to use roaming profiles I think (for those forgetful and time-limited ppl like myself hehe) - the users dont mind waiting a minute to log on - and they get to customise office a bit too [by way of name etc - pointless but hey, some of them might like it hehe]

If a users profile gets corrupted then no problem - wipe it and it'll get recreated on first logon

[better than that have to reimage a pc or recreate the network one - imagine the network default user profile not working properly. No one could logon properly lmao]

Another thought is that if u have a network one - manditory or whatever - then it would still need to transfer to a pc when a user logs on [just like a roaming profile ] unless it doesnt quite work the same.

Just a few pence there

Regards
    N.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast