+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MCP or MCSA advice in Technical; Just out of interest to all those who have any MCP. HOw did ou find studying for the 'Installing and ...
    Thank Post

MCP or MCSA advice

Just out of interest to all those who have any MCP.

HOw did ou find studying for the 'Installing and COnfiguring XP or 2000@ compared to the server OS ones.

I am currently studying to take the 20-270 XP exam and there eems to be a lot harder than others i have looked at or is it just me?

Thank Post

Re: MCP or MCSA advice

Having sat quite a few Microsoft Exams in the past I think that the Windows 2000 series questions i.e. 210, 215 etc are a tad easier than the *new* Windows 2003 series (although it maybe me) since the new ones contain "simulations" questions.

Server Exams seem to go more indepth than the client exams...

Recently, I sat the MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003 (70-292) Exam and failed, It must be the hardest MS exam Iv'e ever done! consequently I am doing the upgrade by taking 290 & 291 (Passed 290 and now looking/studying for the 291 exam)

Anyway good look with the 270 exam !

Jon
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by towen
    Recently, I sat the MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003 (70-292) Exam and failed, It must be the hardest MS exam Iv'e ever done! consequently I am doing the upgrade by taking 290 & 291 (Passed 290 and now looking/studying for the 291 exam)

!
    Towen,
    I am booked in to take the 70-292 exam in November. Any tips you can give me on the type of questions you received?

Thank Post

Well 70-292 is a tough 'en!...

Learn \ focus on the new features of Windows 2003 rather than the basic stuff which was included in Windows 2000

Try and cram up on the following Topics as they will focus on these quite a bit throughout the exam:
    >> New Fuctionality of Windows 2003, enhanced snap-ins, Server Management wizard
    >> Command Line Utils (CSVDE, LDIFDE, DSMOD, DEGET etc)
    >> AD Objects, DN Names etc
    >> Permissions
    >> Group Policy
    >> RRAS
    >> Software Update Services and the importance of it.
    >> IIS 6.0 Administration
    >> Disaster Recovery (ASR, Backup etc)
    >> DNS
    >> Security Templates
    >> Troublshooting the Boot Process routine

Just remember that they are testing you on the *NEW* features of Windows 2003 over Windows 2000.

Don't also forget that they might include Simulation Questions in the test..

Let us know how you get on... Im to sit 70-291 soon to become MCSA 2003

Good Luck!

Thank Post

I actually found 70-270 fairly easy, due to the fact I had so many years experiance messing abut with XP so I knew the majority of stuff, as opposed to the server ones
    There are obviously features that you'd never use that they seem to test on a lot

I passed the 270 and 290, failed the 291 due to RRAS....one year later and still yet to retake, not enough time to revise!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

I would concentrate on doing it the Microsoft way as opposed to picking up shortcuts to obtainig the end result. The simulations rely on this and when you have passed you can do what you want then can't you just like taking your driving test eh

BTW good luck and stick to the 2003 exams.

Thank Post

Can I ask who pays for your exams and training (if not self taught). Also what you do to learn if self taught, (i.e books etc) and if trained where you train and how much?

thanks

Alex

Thank Post

70-292 is a complete bastard. I failed it last year with a score of 697, and eventually passed (just!) with a score of 700.

I would advise reading the books for 70-290 and 70-291 in addition to 292. You may also find the 70-296 material useful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

My school gave me the opportunity to do all my microsoft accreditations in one go cost around 6k total with my wages taken in while i was off for six weeks. CPD in schools is so much better nowadays try getting your CPD manager to organise.

Thank Post

Server exams are definately harder. I found the simulations quite easy though. It's a bit easier to remember how to configure things when you have the actual dialog boxes sat in front of you. Also the simulation environment isn't a complete machine so it will sometimes guide you to the solution. IE If you are clicking a button and it doesn't do anything, you know you aren't doing it the correct/intended way. There's usually several ways to accomplish a task in Windows but the exam may only allow one.
    Another tip i was given was always to click 'Apply' then OK in simulations. I noticed that on at least one of mine just clicking OK didn't actually save the settings I had entered.

Good Luck!

Thank Post

I have found that those of us that have been in the industry for a few years will find the 70-270 a breeze however those of you coming in fresh (under 12 months of experience) will find it abit daunting.

They say the 2 exams that are the hardest and most intense are the 70-270 and the 70-291 purely becouse of the amount that they cover, it's not some much depth of cover but more breadth of cover, there is just so much you have to cover for the exams.

But good luck to anyone how decides to go for it, it is well worth in the end.

Thank Post

Thanks guys for your advice

Jon
    Thank Post

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I passed 70-292 on Wednesday with a score of 850. Did not find it too bad, BUT you must know your DNS inside and out.

&0 -296 to do now sometime in Janurary, this will then upgrade my w2k MCSE to W2k3.

Thank Post

Congratulations!

I've got 70-297 (Active Directory Design) coming up in a couple of weeks, then I'm MCSE 2003.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread