+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Can an server "steal" an email account? in Technical; Bit of a strange one. Look after just the admin side of a school - i.e. 3 workstations, heads laptop ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can an server "steal" an email account?

Bit of a strange one.
    Look after just the admin side of a school - i.e. 3 workstations, heads laptop and the admin server which basically handles SIMS, data for the above stations and email psts.

For some reason the head's laptop appears to have redirected its PST, moving away from the correct PST file on the admin server over to a new PST file on the schools curriculum system which we don't and can't touch as it's managed by other people.

I'm reasonably sure that in order to do that, someone must physically (or remotely) be telling the laptop to use a different data file - but wonder if there's any way it could change itself - if a server can "broadcast" the fact it can host a mailbox and get something to change to it? Perhaps if for whatever reason it can't find the mapped drive the PST is sitting on (i.e. the laptop isn't on the network) will it roam for another?
    I've changed it back twice in the last month, and according to the non technical staff there, absolutely nothing has changed and noones come out to change anything on the curriculum side of things. Any ideas? :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can set a group policy to specify where the PST file could be stored (or it could be done in a login script)

When the user logs on to the laptop, are they logging on with domain account or a local account? If domain, is it the curriculum domain? If so, then I suspect that's the problem - the curriculum network is saying "save your PST files here" and the laptop is picking up those settings

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye, after a bit of remote investigate by a colleague that appears to be the case. Future attempts have now been foiled, and the people responsible for the other network will undoubtedly have their wrists slapped

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread