+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Changing MSExchange 2007 Recipient Addresses in Technical; In a rush of sudden enthusiasm I have taken on some extra work for a neighboring school and I have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Changing MSExchange 2007 Recipient Addresses

In a rush of sudden enthusiasm I have taken on some extra work for a neighboring school and I have inherited an exchange 2007 box. This is now a little out of my territory having been playing with postfix/zimbra so long.
    Under normal circumstances I would just rip out the exchange and put in something else, I am not allowed to on this occasion.

What I do need to do is to change the recipient addresses of all the users.
    They are currently mail.school.sch.uk but they are changing to brandnewacademy.sch.uk

I have got the LEA setup MX records for brandnewacademy.sch.uk which points to this new exchange server.

I was about to run this script on each OU to set the primary smtp address, because this is how I told our AD where our zimbra accounts were.

Code:
    Set objParent = GetObject("LDAP://ou=users,OU=school,DC=sch,DC=uk")

objparent.Filter = Array("user")

for each objUser in objParent

'Wscript.Echo "Modifying " & objUser.Get("sAMAccountName")

objUser.put "mail", objUser.Get("sAMAccountName") & "@brandnewacademy.sch.uk"

objuser.put "targetAddress","SMTP:" & objUser.Get("sAMAccountName") & "@brandnewacademy.sch.uk"

objuser.put "proxyAddresses", "SMTP:" & objUser.Get("sAMAccountName") & "@brandnewacademy.sch.uk"

objuser.Setinfo

next

Wscript.Echo "Done ;)"
    But I think there is probably more to exchange than this?

I was reading here;
    According to Defining an Exchange 2007 E-Mail Address Policy, Part 2

but am still unsure how to proceed as that seems to be for new users?

any pointers please.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

You could go to Organization Configuration | Hub Transport and click on "New Email Address Policy"

Follow the wizard, selecting the option for "All Users" i believe the next screen will the ask you if you would like to filter the users i.e. select an OU etc

If you wish to apply it too all users and not filter it any further (which i am guessing you will want to do) just click next, then a screen will prompt you to input the policy

Select "Email Address Local Part" and then weather you want it to use there alias or firstname.lastname etc and then type in your new FQDN and then click okay.

On the next screen it should ask you when you would like to apply the update, and then pick an appropriate time.

doing it this way will keep the users previous email addresses just incase someone has it in history but will set there new primary receiptent address to the one you have set in the policy.

Hope that helps, any problems give us a shout

James

Edit - Sorry! Just read that website you linked too! lol yes follow that tutorial it will apply it to existing users also as far as i understand from doing this previously

3. Thanks to EduTech from:

CyberNerd (8th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Edit - Sorry! Just read that website you linked too! lol yes follow that tutorial it will apply it to existing users also as far as i understand from doing this previously
    I wasn't really sure if this is what I was supposed to be doing. so thank you.

I will try on an OU of one person, test, test and test some more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I wasn't really sure if this is what I was supposed to be doing. so thank you.

I will try on an OU of one person, test, test and test some more.
    No problems mate, let us know how you get on and if you come accross any problems

James.

Thank Post
    Interesting point. How do some organisations have first.name@theirdomain.co.uk and iniitialsurname@theirdomain.co.uk running side by side?

E.g Fred.Jones@domain.co.uk and fjones@domain.co.uk both go to the same place. Surely they don't have duplicate accounts?

Thank Post
    You can add addition SMTP addresses to mailboxes - but not sure how you do that en masse as i have done it only on shared mailboxes TBH...

I have a hub transport email addy policy that changes users emails from jbloggs@domain.co.uk to joe.bloggs@domain.co.uk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Interesting point. How do some organisations have first.name@theirdomain.co.uk and iniitialsurname@theirdomain.co.uk running side by side?

E.g Fred.Jones@domain.co.uk and fjones@domain.co.uk both go to the same place. Surely they don't have duplicate accounts?
    they would be called aliases on our (postfix) relay I have several aliases setup for myself ( BOFH and CyberNerd both go to me !)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes exactly you can setup a Email Policy to give staff a seperate email address in bulk, or you can just add another SMTP Address to indivigual accouts.. i have quite a few TeaBoy@... being one of them LOL!

There have been worse ones, but i removed them! i have a mean boss lol!

but on a serious note, it is very handy as when we moved from a centrally managed email service at first our email accounts were the username.. so had to also add the old email address which was firstname.surname and this was done easily by creating a rule

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread