+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Computer Shutting Down - Very Strange!!! in Technical; Originally Posted by EvLPhenom i know you said you gave them a new account but did you give them a ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvLPhenom View Post
    i know you said you gave them a new account but did you give them a new profile as well if you are using roaming profiles.
    That won't make any difference - he says he has already tried with her using his own account, so it is evidently something about her, not her account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does it happen when said child just sits infront of the PC and not touching it?

Thank Post
    It is an odd issue - if you're not pulling our legs :-P

Faulty mobile phone, hearing aid - trying to think of things a person may have on them, pacemaker? I don't know if any would really affect a machine like that though?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    That won't make any difference - he says he has already tried with her using his own account, so it is evidently something about her, not her account.
    Sorry i didn't see that post was just flicking through them and thought i would post...i shall be more careful in future.

Thank Post
    What mobile phone does she have? and is it allways in her pocket at school but not at home?

is your school uniform some nasty artificial fibre that builds up static from her walking?

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your help everyone, as suggested I am going to try sitting her as far away from the computer as possible with a keyboard/mouse and see if that makes a difference.

As far as I can work out it is her proximity to the PC that creates the effect - 'electromagnetic field' I think.

After looking around the internet and reading the article posted on this thread it seems this is a genuine problem for some people across the world.

I will keep you all updated once I know more, it's definitely created a talking point amongst the staff here.

One more explanation might be the building work (BSF) on site at the moment, I did jokingly ask the building site manager if they had unearthed any ancient burial grounds! . . . I've heard sprits can be evil

Andy Riach
    Network Manager

Thank Post
    The only option left is that they are pressing a key combination to shut down windows. You can reboot or shutdown windows to leave one or other as the previous shutdown option and see it if does that action. Disabling the alt keys perhaps, a keyboard without power buttons etc. This is assuming they had no access to their files when working on a standalone machine or it could still be an autorun script.

It much more likely to be an inadvertent user shutdown than any sort of weird magnetic field.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    The only option left is that they are pressing a key combination to shut down windows. You can reboot or shutdown windows to leave one or other as the previous shutdown option and see it if does that action. Disabling the alt keys perhaps, a keyboard without power buttons etc. This is assuming they had no access to their files when working on a standalone machine or it could still be an autorun script.

It much more likely to be an inadvertent user shutdown than any sort of weird magnetic field.
    I have actually tried a local user account not connected to the network in any way with no access to files, we do not use roaming profiles etc.

I have watched this happen and today she was not even touching the laptop when it happened.

Decided I need to go to the pub now and try again Monday

I will update you on Monday

Andy Riach
    Network Manager

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Disabling the alt keys perhaps
    Our MFL teachers would kill me if I did that - they use them all the time to get the accented letters...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123