+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Windows Thread, Software to shut down PC's? in Technical; We used to use emco remote shutdown (attached) but we now use lan veiwer. Emco doesnt need to be installed ...
    Thank Post

Re: Software to shut down PC's?

We used to use emco remote shutdown (attached) but we now use lan veiwer. Emco doesnt need to be installed on each and every computer, just the one that you are working from.
    The trouble is that lan viewer client needs to be installed on all the computers, it can be a bit of a drag but once they have it all on, it works fine and plus its free. Plus the wake on lan works too, once WOL has been enabled in the bios of each machine.
    http://www.mst-software.co.uk/software/

T

Thank Post

At this site here there is a listing for schtasks for windows 2000. The schtasks isnt really the important part - anything that will schedule a task will complete the requirement. there is a utility called JT from MS themselves that should do the job

http://smallvoid.com/tweak/winnt/files.html

AFAIK shutdown.exe is on both O/S's

fooby

... yes it should be illegal since you have a license for windows 2000 on that box, not XP and all its utils ... even if they do work. best to err on the side of caution.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    Apologies for starting this topic again, do these scripts work if the workstation is logged off, I can't seem to get anything to work and shutdown the computers when they are logged off.
    My MSI (see post on page 2) works fine when the workstation is logged off or when it is in standby. It uses the schtasks to create the task, so as above, you'll have an issue on win 2k.
    It is also good because the scheduled task wont run until 6pm and then until computer has been idle for 15 minutes. It will keep retrying until the next day.

Thank Post

Sorted now thanks, decided to run shutdown from windows/system32 as a scheduled task with a 2 minute delay and a message. Bit basic but am going to set it up individually on each machine (only22), at the same time am going to set up BGINFO, (idea also gleaned from this forum) Thanks!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by fooby
    there is a utility called JT from MS themselves that should do the job
    I tried this a while back, but it confused me to no end. For some reason I could not get it to do what it was supposed to, but can't remember why. IIRC, there is next to no documentation available about it online or from microsoft at all, as it is such a little known tool. It comes officially unsupported from Microsoft I believe.

Has anyone messed around with this in the past and actually had any success?

Cheers

James

Thank Post

Documentation here:
    http://www.robvanderwoude.com/jthelp/jthelp.htm

Never used it myself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Okay, tried eean's way but failed miserably. I just can't understand MSI's very well .

Okay, so back to stage one. I am determined to do this one way or another.

It's just this stupid standby issue... the script I made works 100% perfectly (I was impressed with how flexible and smooth it was) APART from when the computer is in standby. Why can't microsoft make a setting that does what it says, no more, no less? No matter what I do the computers still manage to end up in standby

I cannot get wake on lan to work, no matter what I do. I don't even need these 'magic packets' because I don't really want the computers going into standby at all, so I don't care if they wake up randomly. I keep reading on the net that I might have to make a hardware adjustment to the NICs...
    Not sure if it will help here but in case anyone else is playing with WOL then check the card settings in Windows as well as in the BIOS - eg on the Intel 1000 card on the machine I'm using now, the driver properties dialogue has a page "power saver and wake on lan options" and I had to make sure that "wake on magic packet" was ticked. There are similar settings for most recent Intel and Broadcom cards that I've looked at.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

what if you set the creds like pcname/admin and then the local password i know you woulds have to know all the local passwords and pc name but i think you can set it up with a bat file in psshutdown cant you

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by johnie65
    We had the following script wrote for shuting down our machines, feel free to alter it to your own computers, it work fine with XP machines
    i'm using your script and its working on our dell gx 620 pcs ok, but wont shut down older pcs like the dell sx 270.

i've checked settings in script etc. it pings the pcs from the list i exported from AD.

any help would be appriciated!!!!

Thank Post

we use lan view 3
    lan view 3
    to do everything from shutdown logoff restart disble there internet Accsess and manny more.........

Thank Post

I back lan view 3.. a useful piece of software...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eean
    I found just using shutdown.exe unreliable if the computer had gone to sleep.
    So, (similar to ajbritton)
    Make a scheduled task and copy it. The advantage of this over using AT is you can make the task wake the computer up to run. You can also make it so it will only run if the computer has been idle for, say, 15 minutes and make it attempt to run every minute after each failed attempt. This way a computer won't shut down if someone is using it but will shut down 15 minutes after they stop. (then make it give up, after 12 hours).
    Also, if you use PS Shutdown, you can add a cancel button. I have a 15 minute count down (that means a machine will have been left idle for 30 minutes - in which case they deserve to loose their work!).
    Handy for late working teachers (there are 1 or 2 NQTs!).
    All you need to do is copy the file into c:\windows\tasks and run the SCHTasks command to make it run as SYSTEM.

I have an MSI here, which is set to shut down the machine at 6. (+ 15 minute countdown)
    It's gone

Thank Post

I use Spec Ops GPUpdate tool:

http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/

It's free, add right click functionality to ADUC and works, I would highly recommend it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It works very slowly for me tho' ICTNUT - and is not scriptable. On the Pcs with ABTutor installed it's an instant power off - I prefer that - at least I know it's done before I go home!

Thank Post

Here it is. Only works for XP. Hope it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread