+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Windows Thread, Software to shut down PC's? in Technical; just use windows shutdown tool (shutdown.exe) and even script it if u like, its free and easy 2 use!...

Thank Post

Re: Software to shut down PC's?

just use windows shutdown tool (shutdown.exe) and even script it if u like, its free and easy 2 use!

Thank Post

What about using a startup script to add scheduled task to shutdown the PC. I've not tried this, but it should be possible with something like this...
    Code:
    at | find "shutdown.exe" > %temp%\atlist.txt
    for /F "tokens=1" %%a in (%temp%\atlist.txt) do at %%a /delete
    at 21:00 /every:m,t,w,th,f,s,su %SystemRoot%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0 -f
    Basically, it first deletes any AT scheduled commands that mention SHUTDOWN.EXE and then adds a new one.

Just a thought!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    The specops free tool - a plugin to AD lets you right click on an OU - shut down the school/room/PC etc depending on your AD structure.
    Hmm tried that yesterday and the part to enable it once installed is nowhere to be seen

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Code:
    Basically, it first deletes any AT scheduled commands that mention SHUTDOWN.EXE and then adds a new one.

Just a thought!
    Nice. I'd just make one slight modification by using command subsitution directly in the FOR command but it's a matter of personal preference.

Code:
    for /F "usebackq tokens=1" %%a in (`at ^| find "shutdown.exe"`) do at %%a /delete
    Anyway, there's still the problem that this only works for domain clients.

For P2P you'd probably have to install some kind of ssh daemon.

Thank Post

From the sleepy site:

Unplugging the computer and turning is back on will not disable Sleepy, no matter how hard you or your children try. We've designed Sleepy to give you peace of mind and we let your try Sleepy free for thirty days, just download and you're ready to start
    I'll give this a test run tonight, see if it as difficult to break as they claim.

On a serious note, my school today have now asked me if it is possible to do something like this due to fire risk. They also want to turn off the projectors at night (literally at the switch) for the same reason... i'm not happy about that because i've already had to plug in two "broken" projectors today.

Shutdown.exe looks promising for the PCs though...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Code:

Just a thought!
    Nice. I'd just make one slight modification by using command subsitution directly in the FOR command but it's a matter of personal preference.

Code:
    for /F "usebackq tokens=1" %%a in (`at ^| find "shutdown.exe"`) do at %%a /delete
    Anyway, there's still the problem that this only works for domain clients.

For P2P you'd probably have to install some kind of ssh daemon.
    Nice one! I did try doing it like that, but it's the first time I've used a FOR loop for anything other than looping through the file system. I learn something new every day!

Thank Post

I found just using shutdown.exe unreliable if the computer had gone to sleep.
    So, (similar to ajbritton)
    Make a scheduled task and copy it. The advantage of this over using AT is you can make the task wake the computer up to run. You can also make it so it will only run if the computer has been idle for, say, 15 minutes and make it attempt to run every minute after each failed attempt. This way a computer won't shut down if someone is using it but will shut down 15 minutes after they stop. (then make it give up, after 12 hours).
    Also, if you use PS Shutdown, you can add a cancel button. I have a 15 minute count down (that means a machine will have been left idle for 30 minutes - in which case they deserve to loose their work!).
    Handy for late working teachers (there are 1 or 2 NQTs!).
    All you need to do is copy the file into c:\windows\tasks and run the SCHTasks command to make it run as SYSTEM.

I have an MSI here, which is set to shut down the machine at 6. (+ 15 minute countdown)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Wow so many responses, didnt expect this!

Thanks everyone, will test and consider everything posted here tomorrow

eean especially, that looks really good, thanks

Thank Post

That's one of the great things about EduGeek, you don't get one answer, you get several. Of course, thats not always a good thing

Thank Post

That's one of the great things about EduGeek, you don't get one answer, you get several. Of course, thats not always a good thing
    Who mentioned profiles shush now shush!

Thank Post

@eean: Nice.. gonna have a look at it thanks.

@ajbritton: Might i make a suggestion, maybe it would be better to use a script to remotely set schedules rather than have it run as a login script ie use schtasks with /s to remotely set schedules or change it. You can set schedules on the fly then if needed.

Thank Post

Sorry to bring this up again, but i've been working on getting all of our client machines to shut down at 7:30pm.

I downloaded Beyondexec as it doesn't have some of the problems that the standard shutdown.exe has. I can get the entire network to shut down successfully within about two minutes (probably less) but yesterday I found a couple of machines were in standby mode, therefore they would not shut down when asked.

I'm not entirely sure why they were in standby mode in the first place... does windows 2000 automatically do this after a certain amount of idle time if there isn't a user logged in? If it does, is there any way to stop it doing so?

Thank Post

Try this:

http://www.n37dev.com/Products/LanTool/

It allows you to see how long machines have been on for and allows you to shut down remotely and send messages as well as other useful stuff and it's free. The only downside is that you have to install it as a client process on each machine. If you could find a way to deploy it from a server that would really make life easier.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DHCP
    Try this:

http://www.n37dev.com/Products/LanTool/

It allows you to see how long machines have been on for and allows you to shut down remotely and send messages as well as other useful stuff and it's free. The only downside is that you have to install it as a client process on each machine. If you could find a way to deploy it from a server that would really make life easier.
    That does look very useful DHCP, i'll make a mental note of that software. But with my current task i'm not sure it really helps.

I have the software I need to do it that can be run as a batch script straight from the server (which is perfect). It doesn't even require any credentials, so no clear text passwords.

I have currently got a machine in testing to see whether it will eventually go into standby mode or whether I am in the clear. I was just wondering if anyone knew what win2k was set to do by default when there is no user logged on.

Thank Post

I use a batch script on the DC that runs scheduled and logs to a logfile by date

Its just using psshutdown but restarts the computers, not shut them down.

I have seperate scripts [shutdown & reboot] that you just add the target computername i.e.

Code:
    scriptname MYPC0101
    Let me know if ya need any of them.

Cheers
    Nath

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast