+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Distribution list questions in Technical; With Exchange 2007, if a person is on more than one distribution list, and an email is sent to the ...

Thank Post

Distribution list questions

With Exchange 2007, if a person is on more than one distribution list, and an email is sent to the different lists that they're on, will they get multiple copies of the email?

Also, how do you guys deal with leavers? Is there a way I can forward somebody elses mailbox on to another member of staff easily?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    With Exchange 2007, if a person is on more than one distribution list, and an email is sent to the different lists that they're on, will they get multiple copies of the email?

Also, how do you guys deal with leavers? Is there a way I can forward somebody elses mailbox on to another member of staff easily?
    Distribution List - Unsure, surely they would unless its the exact same message and exact message ID, in that case exchange wont duplicate it. If the content, sender is different your looking at a different ID and that will be sent.

Forward - Yes, and it's very easy, open there Exchange Tabs, there is a delivery option, either forward, copy etc etc. Use AD with the Exchange Bolt-On todo this.

Thank Post
    Distribution List - Unsure, surely they would unless its the exact same message and exact message ID, in that case exchange wont duplicate it. If the content, sender is different your looking at a different ID and that will be sent.
    Yes I was thinking of the same email sent to, lets say, group1@ and group2@ when Joe Bloggs is a member of both.

Thank Post
    they should only get it once. we have exchange 2003 - thats what happenes here. i think it's the same for 2007.

Thank Post
    Yes I was thinking of the same email sent to, lets say, group1@ and group2@ when Joe Bloggs is a member of both.
    Same Message ID, therefore user will only get the one copy

Thank Post
    Thanks! :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts

I don't think you get it twice, enless you have outlook rules set up, e.g emails from group1 go into folder group 1 and emails from group 2 go into group 2 a copy of the mail sent to both groups will be sitting in both folders, but due to single instance storage there will only be one copy of the email on the server.

if you want a copy of the emails sent to a user after they have left, can you not delete mailbox and set the other user to have the SMTP address of the user that has left? we only do this for members of SMT so that if important emails get sent to that person after they have left the new member of staff gets them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread