+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Flash won't run for standard users? in Technical; Originally Posted by alexsanger Thanks guys for the script and reg key info. Tried 'em both and no joy. Looks ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsanger View Post
    Thanks guys for the script and reg key info. Tried 'em both and no joy.

Looks like some content works fine, and some doesn't - in particular the science section of bitesize is causing problems.

Will keep looking down the profile/permissions route and see what we come up with. Reckon we'll rebuild the mandatory profile (irritating, cos its been fine for over two years...) and try everything on a PC with a clean FP10 install and take it from there.

Will post the solution, as long as it doesn't turn out to be too embarrasing

Thanks for the posts anyway - hope others had more luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    I had something similar the other week,
    Flash worked on the site when logged in as administrator but not as a normal user (not a .man or roming profile),

ended up adding the site to Trusted sites list and that fixed it,
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    I've got the same problem with Shockwave
    I refer you all to my earlier post on this thread and link (Creating a small mandatory profile).

Make a mandatory profile user a member of the administrators group on a temporary basis, make the mandatory profile not mandatory. The step by step is in the link.

Use:
    BBC Science Clips (Flash) BBC - Schools Science Clips - Sorting and using materials
    Little Fingers Games (Shockwave) Flower - better than Little Animals mentioned on that thread.

Logoff, make the profile mandatory and remove admin from the user

This is what I do to sort this out. Regrettably, it seems to be necessary every time I upgrade flash or shockwave.

Thank Post
    dont know if this will help

im asuming you are using mandator profiles for pupils

i had an issue like this and it was down to security settings that are stored in a file called settings.sol stored in the application data folder macromedia \support \flashplayer \sys \of the mandatory profile. it is buried deep in ther somewhere

look through the settings and see if anything jumps out at you security wise

you edit the settings from this website
    Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Security Settings panel

its a long shot but you might want to try it.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Flash Player Unistaller

I had similar problems when installing 3rd Party Software which decided in all it's glory to install a beta version of Flash 9 on top of my v9 installation. The two didn't still well together at all, some websites worked but others didn't - Of course it was only the important ones that didn't.

More recently I've had the problem when upgrading from 9 to 10 and between 10 versions.

In each case different websites didn't work, but I did find an all emcompassing solution:

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control

The Flash Uninstaller. Cleans up and removes all versions of Flash (It's updated periodically too). It has silent switches, so it can be run in the background if needed or launched from a script.

I then just used GPO to plop Flash 9/10 back onto the PC's and voila!

Thank Post

Found my problem...

Oh dear oh dear,

After checking everything, verifying our profile was fine, checking and double checking permissions, uninstalling and reinstalling flash, and basically chasing my tail for 24 hours, I decided to have a look at the source for the pages that weren't working. I find some unusuall URLs in the calls in the source code, so check those against the students web filtering, and guess what - the sub-domain URLs are blocked. Marvellous.

Unblocked the URLs and all of the problematic Bitesize flash that wouldn't play suddenly springs into life. In case anyone's interested, it was BBC - Homepage...

In a way I'm glad it proves that a) our network setup and maintenance is sound, and b) apparently the webfilter is recieveing its updates!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - apologies for wasting anyone's time.

I'll get me' coat

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsanger View Post
    Oh dear oh dear,

After checking everything, verifying our profile was fine, checking and double checking permissions, uninstalling and reinstalling flash, and basically chasing my tail for 24 hours, I decided to have a look at the source for the pages that weren't working. I find some unusuall URLs in the calls in the source code, so check those against the students web filtering, and guess what - the sub-domain URLs are blocked. Marvellous.

Unblocked the URLs and all of the problematic Bitesize flash that wouldn't play suddenly springs into life. In case anyone's interested, it was BBC - Homepage...

In a way I'm glad it proves that a) our network setup and maintenance is sound, and b) apparently the webfilter is recieveing its updates!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - apologies for wasting anyone's time.

I'll get me' coat

Poor you... I'm glad it's fixed. It's gutting when you've had to spend so much time on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12