+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Windows Thread, Deploying Firefox in Technical; Originally Posted by DaveP I cannot prevent the FireFox 'First Time Run' at the moment. Do you mean the Welcome ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I cannot prevent the FireFox 'First Time Run' at the moment.
    Do you mean the Welcome and/or Upgrade tabs users get when Firefox is run for the first time/updated or the Import Wizard box? To fix the former, you can add this to your mozilla.cfg.

Code:
    lockPref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "ignore"); // Do not redirect user to the homepage override URL
    lockPref("startup.homepage_override_url", ""); // The URL to use as a homepage when the browser starts after an upgrade
    lockPref("startup.homepage_welcome_url", ""); // The URL to display upon loading Firefox with a new profile for the first time
    This is quite useful too.
    Code:
    lockPref("browser.rights.3.shown", true); // Disables 'Know your rights' message on first launch
    When I've got a bit of time I'll post my mozilla.cfg. It's a bit more comprehensive than Michael's.

Thank Post

Deploying FireFox

OK
    I have worked in a number of schools in Birmingham for the past few years. For about a year now I have noticed a major deterioration in the efficiency of using IE for browsing. Is very weird and very inconsistent. Particular problems occur when trying to access MyMail (BGFL+) and local ePortal services. Browser seems to hang and crash very regularly!!

I am glad (if that is the right choice of words?) to have found i am not the only one who is having these problems. I work in 5 different schools, 2 of which seem to have little or no problems compared to the other 3. It has to be down to the way schools are routed through the BGFL is all i can think?

IE 7 & 8 are both affected. I have tried FF and early signs seem encouraging

I am now in the process of looking to deploy FF as an alternative browser to schools but in the past was put off a little due to many of the points listed in this excellent thread. I just want to extend my thanks to all who have contributed (especially Michael & Arthur) and will report back here in a couple of weeks to provide my feedback\updates.

Many Thanks
    Paul

Thank Post

Policy Central

and just wanted to add, these problems seemed to occur around the same time Policy Central was installed.........or is that just me thinking this?!?!?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Hi Paul, your theory is correct that IE and Policy Central do have major problems working together. It dates back to June 2009 when Microsoft released a patch to IE and this conflicts with Policy Central. Typical symptoms are IE crashing, slow browsing and problems opening PDFs.

Firefox for the most part solves these problems and since deploying it to the schools I support, problems have considerably reduced. E-portal works much better and browsing in general is much faster and more reliable.

At the time of writing the promised Policy Central 3.0.0.9 patch still hasn't been released, which is meant to fix these problems. At one site (communicating with Link2ICT) they had to disable Policy Central completely as it reduced browsing close to dial-up speed at times.

Thank Post
    @Michael
    Deploying Firefox

Hi Michael, I'm very interested in deploying FF at our school, but I'm having issues getting it working. I followed the instructions in the post above, created Mozilla.txt with lockedprefs, edited Hampshire proxy values, used byteshifter with value 13, downloaded proxy free FF "Mozilla Firefox (3.5.5) Logistix ProxyFree.rar", replaced the cfg file. The MSI installs without issue.

However when I start FF, I get the Configuration Error "Failed to read the configuration file. Please contact your system administrator".

Any thoughts? I had FF installed before, but removed this and Program Files\Mozilla directory and App Data\Mozilla directory. Still no joy.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    However when I start FF, I get the Configuration Error "Failed to read the configuration file. Please contact your system administrator".
    There must be a problem with the new config file you've created. To experiment copy my code exactly and save as mozilla.txt and output as mozilla.cfg, then replace the existing one. If this works then I would double check what changes you've made.

7. Thanks to Michael from:

rocknrollstar (20th November 2009)

Thank Post
    You're right- turns out I missed the '//' at the start of the cfg file. Thanks. I do have 2 questions though.

1) I know I can deploy FF via GPO using the msi, but can I also just copy the files across to the clients? Does it need to be installed properly?

2) Is it possible to install FF plugins, and if so, how?

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    I would recommend you install it properly via GPO or run the MSI manually. It should be very quick even on average spec machines.

If I've understood correctly, you can install extensions silently using the following example:

Code:
    firefox.exe -install-global-extension extension.xpi

10. Thanks to Michael from:

rocknrollstar (21st November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks Michael.

Another question for you! WHen you right click an image in FF, you can set it as the desktop image. Is it possible to disable this? We use bginfo to set the wallpaper on login, but would rather not rely on this.

Also, if I make a change in Mozilla.cfg (i.e. change the default home page), what's the best way to update all the clients who already have the FF msi installed? Do I make a new GPO, and remove the original one?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Internet Explorer has the same function and as far as I am aware it cannot be removed, unless Arthur knows of a way? However, if the profile the user is using is mandatory or read only, the wallpaper would be lost when they logoff.

You could in theory just overwrite the mozilla.cfg file on machines remotely, however if Firefox is in use it can create problems. I would recommend you deploy Firefox again to the few machines you want to update the homepage.

By making changes in the Firefox distribution folder, you can then re-deploy the package again in AD.
    Last edited by Michael; 21st November 2009 at 11:11 AM.

13. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Another question for you! When you right click an image in FF, you can set it as the desktop image. Is it possible to disable this?
    It sure is. You need to add this to your userChrome.css file.

Code:
    #context-setWallpaper, #context-setDesktopBackground { display: none !important; }
    I normally hide a lot more though than that though on our context menus. The code below hides the set desktop background options, the bookmarking options, all the different 'Send' links - because our students use webmail and not Outlook - and the ability to add words to the dictionary and additional dictionaries too.

Code:
    #context-setWallpaper, 
    #context-setDesktopBackground, 
    #context-blockimage, 
    #context-bookmarkframe, 
    #context-bookmarklink, 
    #context-bookmarkpage, 
    #context-keywordfield, 
    #context-sendlink, 
    #context-sendimage, 
    #context-sendvideo, 
    #context-sendaudio, 
    #context-sendpage, 
    #spell-add-to-dictionary, 
    #spell-add-dictionaries, 
    #spell-add-dictionaries-main, 
    #spell-language-separator { display: none !important; }

15. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

rocknrollstar (21st November 2009), TheWhiteWiltord (23rd November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Also, if I make a change in Mozilla.cfg (i.e. change the default home page), what's the best way to update all the clients who already have the FF msi installed? Do I make a new GPO, and remove the original one?
    Firefox actually has the ability to load its configuration from another location on your network such as an internal web server. This allows you to centrally manage the configuration for all of your Firefox installations. If you Google autoadmin.global_config_url you will be able to find out how to do this.

Rather than redeploying the Firefox package to update the mozilla.cfg you could use a startup/shutdown script or even Group Policy Preferences if you have it.
    Last edited by Arthur; 21st November 2009 at 10:24 PM.

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You could in theory just overwrite the mozilla.cfg file on machines remotely, however if Firefox is in use it can create problems. I would recommend you deploy Firefox again to the few machines you want to update the homepage.
    From the testing I have done, overwriting the mozilla.cfg is fine even when users have Firefox open. However, Firefox will only pick up the changes you made to the .cfg after it has been restarted.

19. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post

Frontmotion Firefox-CE

We use this at our school... most of what you guys are trying to do is achievable deployting Firefox-CE and using Group Policy to control and lock these settings.

FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition

Thank Post
    @gtaylor - I've tried the FF CE and ADM templates, but it doesn't cover the 2 things I need most : disabling file:// and filtering downloads

@Aurthur and Michael - thank you both, you guys have been a huge help in locking down FF in my store. I'm using Michael's MSI with some tweaked CFG options, and Aurthur's menu-disabling CSS. However the 2 are not entirely compatible For instance, the CSS tries to disable #bookmarksMenu, however in Michael's custom version it is not disabled, it appears to use a different ID tag as it is named "Favorites", and I cannot load the DOM inspector to find out what tag it is since addons are disabled (lol)

Also, I cannot seem to figure out a way to filter downloads using any method. I want to replicate the behavior of the Public Fox plugin, in that it allows you to block the downloading of some file extensions, but not all. I want to block EXE, BAT, ZIP, RAR and others, but allow things like .DOC, .PDF, and .JPG Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your guy's work!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast