+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Windows Thread, Deploying Firefox in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael I have created a custom MSI for you so it will no longer place a desktop ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have created a custom MSI for you so it will no longer place a desktop shortcut when setup completes. I'd recommend you uninstall any version of FF before installing my version.

You just need to overwrite the mozilla.cfg accordingly. Full details can be found here
    Thanks Michael.

I take it this will work with the ADM files i have in GPO. All of the settings are set via the ADM files.

I see you talk about the cfg file. Would there be away of pushing that out via GPO?

Sorry to keep asking questions

many thanks

matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    You no longer need the ADM files on your server. Extract the WinRAR file to a destribution share on your server, for example \\SERVERNAME\Distribution\Mozilla Firefox (3.5.7) Logistix

Create your own custom mozilla.cfg by copying the code I produced into Notepad. Then run it through Byte Shifter. Copy and overwrite the existing mozilla.cfg file within:

\\SERVERNAME\Distribution\Mozilla Firefox (3.5.7) Logistix\Mozilla Firefox

Then deploy the MSI using Active Directory and that's it.

Thank Post
    I have just tried deploying your 3.6 MSI on an RM CC3 network following your instructions and unfortunately when i go to run firefox after deploying it, even as an admin i get the "Firefox is already running issue" i was wondering whether you had seen this before or have any idea what might be causing it?

thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    If you have a look in Task Manager, is there a firefox.exe process already running?

5. Thanks to Michael from:

A5Ben (15th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Yeah I checked an there is no firefox process running in task manager which I thought was odd, and it's not like I hve already tried opening it and got impatient and clicked again as it happens the first time you try and open it. Baffled

Thank Post
    I've deployed 3.5.7 to CC3 with no problems. Have you tried allocating a new profile?

Thank Post
    Ok I may try 3.5.7 when I get back then. Do you mean a new ff profile. Would thy mean allocating a profile at each station? Or am I wing special.

Thank Post
    Normally in CC3 (I think) users have roaming profiles.

Thank Post
    I get you so your thinking maybe if your logged on elsewhere it may prevent you from opening ff at that particular pc due to the roaming profile.? I shall give it a go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lankygibbon View Post
    I get you so your thinking maybe if your logged on elsewhere it may prevent you from opening ff at that particular pc due to the roaming profile.? I shall give it a go.
    Being a roaming profile won't be a big deal, but if you have redirected special folders you will find that FF won't open the (confusingly) Firefox Profile twice.

Thank Post
    Ok brilliant got it up and working did a reset on my profile and it seems to work on all the other test profiles i have tried. .

Will i be needing to build a seperate package for flash for firefox?

Thank Post
    If you deploy the latest version of Flash and Shockwave you shouldn't need to do anything else.

Thank Post
    Deployed an MSI from macromedia "flash player 10 plugin for firefox" and everything is now working hunky dorey.

I appreciate you doing the work so we don't have, so i can get back to answering teachers inane questions.

thanks again your a hero.

Thank Post
    You're welcome

Thank Post
    Hello.

We're looking into rolling out Firefox 3.6, and I've read most of this thread - it's helped me a lot.

We had the following line in mozilla.cfg...

lockPref("security.enable_ssl2", true);

One thing I've noted in my testing is that smile.co.uk - the internet bank uses ssl3, and with both ssl2 and ssl3 enabled, logging into smile doesn't work. If you just have ssl3 (which is what smile uses) enabled and ssl2 disabled, the smile bank logon works.

Now, I don't expect anyone to actually be using smile.co.uk at our school, but this might indicate an issue - is it better to leave ssl2 disabled, or should it be enabled? I don't know much about ssl I'm afraid.

Just a quick run-through of what we're intending...

Deployment via FrontMotion MSI in a GPO, and updates to the product using the same method. (Not tested the updating, but will do before deployment).

From memory...

Startup script in the GPO to place Mozilla.cfg into the program files/mozilla firefox dir, and a loadcustom.js placed in the default/pref folder to force use of the mozilla.cfg file.

override.ini placed in the program files/mozilla firefox dir, to stop new profiles from migrating from IE settings.

Run Firefox.exe from the startup script silently to set it to the default browser.

In the logon script, if a Firefox profile does not exist, then create one by running firefox in silent mode just to create the profile, and then insert a userChrome.css file into the Firefox profile to switch off some menus in the interface, and a insert a userContent.css to switch off about:config.

We also tweak the registry to stop IE from checking if it's the default browser.

I'm pretty new to Firefox, so some of the above might be better done differently.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, or want to know more?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast