+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Error When Printing - SpoolSV.exe in Technical; When printing from Word 2003 I get a SpoolSV.exe error message. I get the option to either terminate the service, ...

Thank Post

Error When Printing - SpoolSV.exe

When printing from Word 2003 I get a SpoolSV.exe error message. I get the option to either terminate the service, or debug. Terminate crashes the system, and debug does nothing.

When I restart the print spooler within services, I can then print one document, but then after that, I get the SpoolSV.exe error message again, which then requires another restart of the print spooler.

We are on a CC3 network, and when logged in as an administrator, everything works fine, but when a teacher logs in, they are then prompted with the error message. The PC has had a full rebuild, Office 2003 re-installed, printer re-installed with latest drivers, but still the problem persists.

t_h
    Thank Post
    Is it a network printer or a local printer?

Thank Post
    It is a local printer, HP OfficeJet 6000 series. We have a couple more of these installed around the site and working fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A quick search for you on Google reveals this:

Error Message: Spoolsv.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows

Hope it helps,

GJE

t_h
    Thank Post
    Did you install the driver as local administrator or domain administrator? As strange as it sounds, I've had HP printer drivers bum out like this and the fix was to install them as local admin. Stupid, I know, but worth a try.

HP make good hardware but their software drives me up the wall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Yeah, it's almost certainly the driver. Do the printers you have of this type all use the same driver version? You can find this on the About tab of the printer properties. It may well be that only the particular version the problem printer is using will cause the crash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    A quick search for you on Google reveals this:

Error Message: Spoolsv.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows

Hope it helps,

GJE
    I have followed the instructions as stated by the Microsoft article, which seemed to resolve the issue, but now a couple of days later, the problem has returned!

Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    Did you install the driver as local administrator or domain administrator? As strange as it sounds, I've had HP printer drivers bum out like this and the fix was to install them as local admin. Stupid, I know, but worth a try.

HP make good hardware but their software drives me up the wall.
    With this network being CC3 we are unable to login locally so a domain administrators account must be used.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Yeah, it's almost certainly the driver. Do the printers you have of this type all use the same driver version? You can find this on the About tab of the printer properties. It may well be that only the particular version the problem printer is using will cause the crash.
    After following the Microsoft article mentioned above, I then re-installed the printer with the latest drivers, this obviously did not work. This particular model of printer is also installed on another workstation with the same drivers, and same type of user account and it is working fine.

This is also the 2nd different model of printer I have tried now on this workstation.

Just to point out once again, an administrator can login and print fine, without any errors, but when using a teachers account, the SpoolSV.exe error persists.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread