+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Group policy software installation problem in Technical; Afternoon peeps, Having a problem rolling out a piece of software via GP . I have created a test OU ...

Thank Post

Group policy software installation problem

Afternoon peeps,

Having a problem rolling out a piece of software via GP.
    I have created a test OU and stuck my machine in it. I have then created a new GPO and added the msi package and left it as assigned, not published and made sure it was linked to the testOU.
    Initially I had a problem in that I was getting an error in the rsop after a gpupdate /force /boot saying that computer settings couldnt be applied because of an access denied message. I got around this by changing the domain controller policy by adding 'Authenticated Users' (which should include all domain computers?) to the list of objects allowed to access the domain controller over the network.

Now, whenever I do a gpupdate /force /boot it actually reboots but still doesn't apply the software. There are no errors in the event log and rsop has no errors but the software installation isnt listed. Bit confused and dont know what else to try?

Anything you can suggest would be muchly appreciated

Cheers

Thank Post
    Run Gpresult on the client pc after login to see if the GPO is being applied.
    And check the event log on the client to see if it is having problems with the installer file.

Thank Post
    Gpresult says the computer policy has been applied and there are no errors in the event log

Thank Post
    Could it be a permissions problem on the share for the msi?

Thank Post
    both myself and this computer have read permissions at the share and ntfs levels.

Thank Post
    GAH!

Do you think dropping the domain controller out a 2nd story window would help?

Thank Post
    Which application is it? Have you tried adding another installer package from another program that you know works to see if its a problem with that msi?

Thank Post
    Dont think I have any msi's lying around I can test with,

btw, Today I am now getting this in the event log...

The install of application CrashPlan from policy Install CrashPlan Client failed. The error was : This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

and

Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Puzzling.

Thank Post
    is crash plan the program you are trying to install and if so is the msi one you have created or one supplied by the software company?

Also try downloading something like this

Paint.NET - Download

If you download the zip file and keep using 7-zip to extract the .exe's eventually you get to an msi file it only takes a few seconds but may be worth a look st trying one.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ddy View Post
    Dont think I have any msi's lying around I can test with,

btw, Today I am now getting this in the event log...

The install of application CrashPlan from policy Install CrashPlan Client failed. The error was : This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

and

Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Puzzling.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For Paint.Net you can also run the exe with the nady /createmsi switch and it will place the MSI's in a folder on your desktop already to go. (doesn't really help with the origianl question though sorry)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Usually that means the application has a dependency which would make sense why it's failing. Alternatively try downloading/installing Flash or Shockwave MSIs. They should go through with no problems, confirming your distribution share is setup correctly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread