+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, IE8 Periodically Hangs in Technical; Afternoon all, I'm at a school today with machines that are running XP SP3 with IE8. IE8 periodically hangs and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

Question IE8 Periodically Hangs

Afternoon all,

I'm at a school today with machines that are running XP SP3 with IE8. IE8 periodically hangs and checking the event logs, reveals the following:

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
    I also had a look in Task Manager, Policy Central 3.0.0.8 is running and a new process I hadn't seen before called SysServer.exe. Googling this process it is linked to Policy Central and it was using 50% of the CPU Unfortunately I cannot kill the process, just like you cannot kill PCClient.exe either without uninstalling the whole product.

Is anyone else having this problem and could you confirm whether you have Policy Central running? Thanks!

Thank Post
    Not upgraded to 3.0.0.8 as still testing to see if it works better than 3.0.0.7 which pretty much broke Internet Explorer, especially with ePortal.

However, during the testing of 3.0.0.7 I was able to kill the PCClient with taskkill from the command line, so maybe that'll work with sysserver.

Sadly, every time explorer is used it respawned PCClient - so if that is calling sysserver, that'll be back too.

Rather than uninstall 3.0.0.7 the following reg key can be removed to stop the respawn, but not sure if thats the same for 3.0.0.8

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{8F26EAA1-D8B4-41A2-994F-704AEEE25536}

Sorry couldn't be any more help...

Thank Post
    Hi,

We have been getting problems with that version of PCE and Internet Explorer (in fact not just with IE8) Do you have Sophos on your machines??

I have spoken to Paul Panter about it and they are aware of the problem but we are still waiting for a fix, this has been going on since well before the summer holidays!!!!

Let me know if you hear anything.

Cheers

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Thanks for the reply. Apparently 3.0.0.9 is in the works and will be released shortly, so who knows if this'll fix the problems I'm experiencing.

I'm in a catch 22 situation really as Link2ICT would like all schools to use the product, but clearly there are still issues with IE and Policy Central. The problem being the event logs show nothing informative and the 'recommendation' is use Firefox; which is fine, but then what do we do when a website/application requires IE?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread