+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Windows Thread, XP Language - Ctrl Alt Del in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    XP Language - Ctrl Alt Del

    Guys,

    Got an odd issue.

    I am running Windows XP SP3 and my machine is using UK regional settings. Now when you boot the workstation up and press shift 3 in the username name box i get the £ symbol. Great..... i log into windows and i am still using Uk settings. However if i lock my workstation and then go to unlock it if i press shift 3 in the username box i get ##### which would be correct on a US keyboard.

    Any ideas as it is p*ssing me off and cant get to the bottom of it

    Thanks in advance

    Craig

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    294
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    That's a coincidence. I have a similar situation in my test domain. My client is DEFINITELY configured for the UK keyboard but, at logon, US characters crop up (relevant when it comes to entering the password ). I got round it be creating an .adm which sets the keyboard language to the client at startup. I have no idea though why the regional setting isn't retained after a reboot.

    I don't know if this might help but I'd sure like to know why the situation's happening in the first place. It's just not logical!

  3. Thanks to Ignatius from:

    WallaceTech (25th September 2009)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    That's a coincidence. I have a similar situation in my test domain. My client is DEFINITELY configured for the UK keyboard but, at logon, US characters crop up (relevant when it comes to entering the password ). I got round it be creating an .adm which sets the keyboard language to the client at startup. I have no idea though why the regional setting isn't retained after a reboot.

    I don't know if this might help but I'd sure like to know why the situation's happening in the first place. It's just not logical!
    Hello mate. Thanks very much for the reply and glad i am not the only one out there with this issue.

    If possible would you be able to post up the .adm you have created or email? I dont want to reinvent the wheel if you have a working solution

    Thanks again

    Craig

  5. #4
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,699
    Thank Post
    171
    Thanked 224 Times in 207 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    I remember having this aggro years ago and had a reg hack for it somewhere... if you don't get the .adm I'll try and dig back through the archives if you want?

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks gshaw

    That would be great

    Craig

  7. #6

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,265
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    And are you 100% that all Keyboard settings/tabs are set to UK? I've never seen this happen as I also set KB/Language settings when configuring Sysprep.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    And are you 100% that all Keyboard settings/tabs are set to UK? I've never seen this happen as I also set KB/Language settings when configuring Sysprep.

    Yep 100% its UK. Its only happening when i lock my machine. Its one of them settings stoping us moving forward with our new build

    Craig

  9. #8

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,265
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    So if you're creating an image, I presume also you're using Sysprep, so you can specify keyboard/language settings as well as others. I suggest you run a test Sysprep and see if this fixes the problem.

    Are you using standard Windows keyboard drivers, or is it one of these fancy keyboards with additional functions requiring seperate drivers?

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So if you're creating an image, I presume also you're using Sysprep, so you can specify keyboard/language settings as well as others. I suggest you run a test Sysprep and see if this fixes the problem.

    Are you using standard Windows keyboard drivers, or is it one of these fancy keyboards with additional functions requiring seperate drivers?

    Nope standard keyboards mate. everything about Windows is UK. The Ctrl Alt Del screen is UK before we login. When i login its UK but when the machine is locked the Ctrl Alt Del screen is using US keyboard.

    craig

  11. #10

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    294
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by WallaceTech View Post
    If possible would you be able to post up the .adm you have created or email? I dont want to reinvent the wheel if you have a working solution
    Here's what I used:
    Code:
    CLASS USER 
      CATEGORY "Custom Settings" 
         CATEGORY "Keyboard Layout" 
            POLICY "Set UK Keyboard Layout" 
               KEYNAME "Keyboard Layout\Preload" 
               VALUENAME 1 
               VALUEON 00000809 
               VALUEOFF "" 
            END POLICY ;Set UK Keyboard Layout 
         END CATEGORY ;Keyboard Layout 
      END CATEGORY ;Custom Settings
    I also played around with an .adm to set the language because I read that the language setting might be causing the conflict:

    Code:
    CLASS USER
      CATEGORY !!categoryname
      KEYNAME "Control Panel\International"
        POLICY "Select a Language"
        EXPLAIN !!explaintext
          PART !!Language DROPDOWNLIST REQUIRED
          VALUENAME "sLanguage"
          ITEMLIST
          NAME !!Czech VALUE CSY 
          NAME !!Danish VALUE DAN
          NAME !!German_(Austrian) VALUE DEA 
          NAME !!German_(Swiss) VALUE DES
          NAME !!German VALUE DEU
          NAME !!Greek VALUE ELL
          NAME !!English_(Australia) VALUE ENA DEFAULT
          NAME !!English_(South_Africa) VALUE ENS 
          NAME !!English_(Canada) VALUE ENC
          NAME !!English_(U.K.) VALUE ENG
          NAME !!English_(Irish) VALUE ENI
          NAME !!English_(U.S.) VALUE ENU
          NAME !!English_(New_Zealand) VALUE ENZ
          NAME !!Spanish_(Mexican) VALUE ESM
          NAME !!French VALUE FRA
          NAME !!French_(Canadian) VALUE FRC
          NAME !!Italian VALUE ITA
          NAME !!Dutch VALUE NLD
          NAME !!Russian VALUE RUS
          NAME !!Portuguese VALUE PTG
          End ITEMLIST
          End PART
        End POLICY
      END CATEGORY
    
    [strings]
    categoryname="International Language Option"
    Language="Select a Language"
    Czech="Czech"
    Danish="Danish"
    German_(Austrian)="German (Austrian)"
    German_(Swiss)="German (Swiss)"
    German="German"
    Greek="Greek"
    English_(Australia)="English (Australia)"
    English_(South_Africa)="English (South Africa)"
    English_(Canada)="English (Canada)"
    English_(U.K.)="English (U.K.)"
    English_(Irish)="English (Irish)"
    English_(U.S.)="English (U.S.)"
    English_(New_Zealand)="English (New Zealand)"
    Spanish_(Mexican)="Spanish (Mexican)"
    French="French"
    French_(Canadian)="French (Canadian)"
    Italian="Italian"
    Dutch="Dutch"
    Russian="Russian"
    Portuguese="Portuguese"
    
    explaintext="Select your default Language"
    Needless to say, I can't claim credit for creating these files initially!

  12. #11
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    There are 4 things to change when setting up a machine for UK, are you sure you changed them all ?

    I know this, but despite me telling them, my techs don't change them all, which can leave some stupid americanisations lying around.

  13. #12

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    9,988
    Thank Post
    1,852
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Rep Power
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    There are 4 things to change when setting up a machine for UK, are you sure you changed them all ?

    I know this, but despite me telling them, my techs don't change them all, which can leave some stupid americanisations lying around.
    It would be helpful if you said what the 4 things were

  14. #13
    User3204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    769
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 66 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It would be helpful if you said what the 4 things were
    Yeah, but I'm not in front of a windows machine at the moment, so I can't think what all the tabs are called,

    The one that is usually missed is above the bit where you add in other language fonts... if that makes sense... I can "see" the screen but can't think what all the options are all called or where to click to get to it.....
    Last edited by User3204; 25th September 2009 at 10:13 PM.

  15. #14

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    9,988
    Thank Post
    1,852
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Rep Power
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not in front of a windows machine at the moment, so I can't think what all the tabs are called,

    The one that is usually missed is above the bit where you add in other language fonts... if that makes sense... I can "see" the screen but can't think what all the options are all called or where to click to get to it.....
    one for monday!

  16. #15

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,265
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    Control Panel > Regional and Language Options

    Regional Options (two drop down menus)
    Languages > Details (one drop down menu)
    Advanced (one drop down menu)

    The other interesting option under the Advanced tab "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile".

  17. Thanks to Michael from:

    elsiegee40 (26th September 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CTRL+ALT+DEL
    By KWestos in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st July 2009, 01:27 PM
  2. after CTRL+ALT+DEL
    By kennysarmy in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th September 2008, 03:46 PM
  3. CTRL-ALT-DEL works but nothing else..
    By contink in forum Windows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th January 2008, 05:13 PM
  4. CTRL+ALT+DEL Login
    By Nij.UK in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st December 2006, 10:56 AM
  5. Ctrl+Alt+Del at logon
    By Michael in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th March 2006, 02:33 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •