+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Hanging on Applying your personal settings! in Technical; Came in this morning and all seemed OK, now when I log on to a PC it just takes an ...
    Thank Post

Hanging on Applying your personal settings!

Came in this morning and all seemed OK, now when I log on to a PC it just takes an absolute age to log on, it gets as far as "applying your personal settings", if it logs on all then seems OK? Nothing as far as I know has changed. Only thing that I have done today is to re-plug in a USB hard disk in to the server that we are using to back up on to (the backup is not running so thats not it). Any ideas verywelcome, will shut down and restart the server at 12 to see if that make a differnce in case something has got messed up some where but can't see what at the moment.

Thank Post
    Just noticed that there seems to be alot more hard disk activity (lights flashing) on the server than I remember, so maybe a reboot will clear what it is?

Thank Post
    If it is a service hanging then you can troubleshoot by running safe mode with networking and then try enabling/desiabling services - we had a problem similar to this caused by Sophos

4. Thanks to maark from:

TechSupp (25th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Rebooted the server and all seems relatively OK and I can log on now with less HD activity on the server. Will soon hear I suppose if there are problems :-(
    Thanks for the advice, just needed somewhere to air my thoughts rather than screaming! While it rebooted I did remember that the only other thing I did was unlock the user profile all the classes use make a check a setting on a computer then shut down and lock the profile again. Maybe something got messed up when I did that? I may never know!

If it was the profile that something has happen to cause the problem could I just restore the profile from backup (ntbackup) and overwrite the new one without causeing myself any grief etc. or will that just mess things up?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 25th September 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Right here goes, its the end of Friday and I now have found out why I had the above problem last week, it was that every file and folder in the foundation stages login home drive folder is being copied to whoever is logging on, their home drive folder and as they have lots of photographs it was taking ages!!!!! Only found out after I looked in my own folder and found their files in it. So I thought, OK I'll just copy them back...now I get the same problem, that the files get coped at every login! Whats going on? They all are using the same deault network profile.. could that be messed up and causing the problem or do I have something more sinister going on? Help very much appreciated. Unlocked and changed some setting on a computer last week and re locked the profile but why its copying the foundation folders I don't know? If I rename or delete the foundation Hme folder everyone can login OK.
    Just done a bit of additional testing and found if I create new foundation home folder "fs" and put a single file in it, when I log on as another class using the same default profile it copies the home folder contents to the users logging on home folder and deletes the original home "fs" folder! Only happening with the fondation stage folder "fs". What the heck is happening? Got Sophos on but nothing has been highlighted in the reports etc.

Suppose I could always change the home drive setting in the user account to the original "fs" folder which I renamed "fs_temp" when I found out what was happening as its not the contents of the folder thats the problem, but thats a work around and not really a solution as to why. Can't see it being the Default Profile as all other users using it logon without any problems etc. no folders being copied etc, onlyu when I create the foundation folder "fs". I'm beginning to hate Friday, thats- two in a row now!
    Last edited by TechSupp; 2nd October 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Right here goes, its the end of Friday and I now have found out why I had the above problem last week, it was that every file and folder in the foundation stages login home drive folder is being copied to whoever is logging on, their home drive folder and as they have lots of photographs it was taking ages!!!!! Only found out after I looked in my own folder and found their files in it. So I thought, OK I'll just copy them back...now I get the same problem, that the files get coped at every login! Whats going on? They all are using the same deault network profile.. could that be messed up and causing the problem or do I have something more sinister going on? Help very much appreciated. Unlocked and changed some setting on a computer last week and re locked the profile but why its copying the foundation folders I don't know? If I rename or delete the foundation Hme folder everyone can login OK.

Normally the 'My documents' folder is not part of the profile. It makes it ENORMOUS

You should redirect this, so it is stored on the server for every user.

Microsoft's blurb to help you: Folder Redirection Overview

I force our teachers to store photos in a specific folder in the Staff shared area - well away from login document areas. That way it's easy for me to archive them when the server becomes too cluttered.

Thank Post
    Maybe my rambling wern't as detailed as they should have been sorry, but the home drive is their redirected My Documents. They click on My Documents they see the contents of their home folder on the server. Its this home (redirected folder) that is causing the problems or something else I think that is just copying this users particular folder everywhere if it exists! Don't think that ist the redirection that corrupt or wrong as its not been changed and other users with the same profile and policy are OK.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 2nd October 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Maybe answering my own question here but would love to hear your views. If for some reason when I changed the settings on a computer last week when the profile was unlocked, could the location of the My Documents been captured into the default user profile that it was using, then when it was locked, and then accessed by another user, it copies the files across to the users redirected My Documents as it would copy a profile, so therefore to solve the problem I need to really recreate the Default User Profile that they all access. No problem with the FS user logging on when the home folder exists as its copying it to itself and it already exists. Clutching at straws here but sounds plausable I suppose, what do you think?

Thank Post
    Why not go look int the DUP and find out?

I found a year or two ago that Group Policy has an option called Verbose Logging... more orientated at Vista's Software Installation policy (how I found it) - not telling you what its actually installing... I've left it turned on ever since (works with 7 and XP) and it makes figuring out minor difficulties a bit easier.

You might have some luck with: How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows

If you haven't looked at either already.

11. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

TechSupp (2nd October 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread