+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Share a directory across 2 seperate domains in Technical; We are looking to install some server/client software to help with dinner registers. Our network is setup such that we ...
    Thank Post

Share a directory across 2 seperate domains

We are looking to install some server/client software to help with dinner registers. Our network is setup such that we have a 2003 server on the admin side of the network, and a 2000 server on the curriculum side of the network. I can ping a machine on the other network fine. The admin domain is called 'school' and curriculum is 'school-domain' (I didn't set either up!).

The server software for Tucasi will be installed on the admin network, and when admin staff login, they login/authenticate to the 2003 server.

The client software for Tucasi will be installed on the curriculum network, and when teachers login, they login/authenticate to the 2000 server.

The problem is that on the 2003 server, the data for Tucasi has to be stored in C:\SCO. This folder also has to be accessible and writeable to teachers from the curriculum network.

When I setup the share for c:\SCO on the 2003 network, how do I allow teachers access when they are actually found on the curriculum network?

If you're still reading, I'm impressed. Hope it makes a bit of sense!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Tucasi
    What is this, also why not jsut share a directory using windows?

3. Thanks to mossj from:

rocknrollstar (24th September 2009)

Thank Post
    As long as the folder is shared and the security permissions are set to accept the accounts from the machines that SCO is installed on it should work fine. You might want to put a few lines in the clients HOSTS file to point to the IP address for the server that you have the Tucasi main databases installed on. This will work across domains and if the IP subnets are different between the admin and curriculum network then that can also be setup using the hosts file and giving the client dual IP address. On setup it will be worth checking that the SCO server path is setup via IP as in \\192.168.0.1\SCO. We have the security share and file permissions set so that only specific users have access to SCO since it goes contain a financial record its worth making sure students are unable to access it.

5. Thanks to xathros from:

rocknrollstar (24th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Great, so it looks like it is possible, albeit not straightforward!

Tucasi Home - provide the School Cash Office system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Just because you can ping each of the servers doesn't mean you can automatically create a share on domain A and make it available on domain B. It most likely is the case you have two domains using the same subnet.

If the two domains are completely seperate, you'll need to create a domain trust (which is relatively straight forward) and this would allow you to share data as you'd like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Hiya,

We currently have this setup in a similar fashion here, PM me if you get stuck

Thank Post
    The problem is that on the 2003 server, the data for Tucasi has to be stored in C:\SCO. This folder also has to be accessible and writeable to teachers from the curriculum network.
    (powdarrmonkey thinks it's time to get different dinner register software...)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    (powdarrmonkey thinks it's time to get different dinner register software...)
    tbf, its like sims having to have read write access to a mapped drive, but at least you don't have the mapped drive, so teachers can't acidentally delete stuff! its all done by UNC paths to a share, but it does work quite well, there is allways the odd update that gets auto downloaded to the school, you need to just stop the sco server service run the update, start the service again and it upgrades workstations, 100x easier then any sims upgrade!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyglenn View Post
    tbf, its like sims having to have read write access to a mapped drive, but at least you don't have the mapped drive, so teachers can't acidentally delete stuff!
    Touché!

Thank Post
    Definitely create a Trust as stated above but make it one way from the curriculum to the admin (unless you need admin staff to access resources on the curriculum domain).

Shaun

Thank Post
    We use Tucasi, but not like this, the FInance people think it's great, it does seem to have reduced the number of excel spreadsheets they have.

We also have a similar setup of domains/forests, with no trust relationships between them, to solve the problems we have:
    1. IP routing between the staff desktops and student servers
    2. The staff and student DNS servers share their lookup domains forward and reverse (set to copy as a secondary domain).
    3. Created aliases in the staff DNS from studentserver.staff.schooldomain to studentserver.students.schooldomain
    4. Duplicated all the staff usernames/passwords into the student domain

This means when a user on the staff domain attaches to \\studentserver\share it pops up a logon box asking for usename and password, and they logon as studentdomain\username and tick the "remember me" box.

If you do the same but reversed it will work, although I would be wary of doing it this way, to be sure that no students got access to SIMS data. I would put the Tucasi stuff on a student network server, and not allow access to the staff servers from anything but staff servers/workstations and student servers.

The problem we end up with is duplicate user accounts, and then they change one of the passwords, but not the other... I would like to merge the domains or have a password sync between them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    The problem we end up with is duplicate user accounts, and then they change one of the passwords, but not the other... I would like to merge the domains or have a password sync between them.
    I believe Active Directory Federation Services can help you with that, but I've never (yet) used it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread