+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Blocking Cachepilot Login Screen in Technical; A while ago I realised that our students who have a general login of student could access the cachepilot login ...

Thank Post

Blocking Cachepilot Login Screen

A while ago I realised that our students who have a general login of student could access the cachepilot login screen. This meant they could log in if they knew the password and change it which would cause general confusion. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they worked their way onto this because of the teachers using cachepilot in class rooms. However I forgot until yesterday and today I'm trying to block out that page.

Using group policy I turned off "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" and that disabled me from accessing it, but unfortunately not them as they have the configuration script to load cachepilot set as "http://wwwcache.cleo.net.uk/".

I then tried adding cachepilot to the black list on the cachepilot but that didn't make a difference as the cachepilot is classed as local internet.

I also tried to make the cachepilot site restricted using internet explorer options to set the security to maximum levels. But the students could still login.

There is one option that does work, changing the hosts file to 127.0.0.2 cachepilot but I think that would block out the teachers if they use the same computer as students. I was hoping there was something a bit simpler that people knew ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Blocking Cachepilot Login Screen

Well here, I don't use the cachepilot as a proxy. So it would be a simple case of adding the url to the url black list on dansguardian for the kids.

Thank Post

To be honest, you're not going to (easily) be able to differentiate between students & teachers at that level - keeping the password safe & regularly changed may be the best idea.

Would think that changing the hosts file would be a bad idea - as they may access the proxy functionality by name.

Thank Post

we don't even use our cache pilot its plugged in but i don't think its turned on. what sort of things do they use it for i know in the primaries i go to they use it for espresso and caching websites etc... but what use is it in high schools?

we use isa server as our proxy much easier!

kris

Thank Post

I haven't had any problems with my solution so far apart from the teachers being restricted.

Primarily the cachepilot is used to block the internet by putting a password on it. I could have a password for every child and assign them to groups, but they'd log in as each other and change each others passwords (but now they can't do that due to the hosts file so maybe I will)

The caching element is hardly used, only for school website, but I think that its something that the teachers should be doing incase our internet goes down for an usual length of time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread