+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Events 5719, 14 and 29 in Technical; I have a Windows XP w/SP3 client connecting to a Windows Server 2003 domain. I can login just fine and ...
    Thank Post

Events 5719, 14 and 29

I have a Windows XP w/SP3 client connecting to a Windows Server 2003 domain. I can login just fine and use network resources like shared folders and drive mappings etc. The errors listed appear after start-up and errors 14 and 29 repeat another 2 times.

After reading the event viewer error messages and some googling it seems to be because the client can't find the DC. Surely the fact that I am browsing the network contradicts this? The reason I wish to resolve these errors is because I believe them to be interfering with the processing of the group policy and if our policy settings are not applied correctly this may affect the installation of Sophos from the Enterprise Console.

Any help appreciated,
    Darren

Thank Post
    event id 29

Event ID 29 Source W32Time

event id 14

Event ID 14 Source W32Time

By the looks of that it is either to do with

* it not being able to contact the time server so firewall whether its windows firewall or other firewall blocking data on a certain port

* Time between clients and servers are out by 5 or more mins

* Long shot but maybe DNS issue - test on clients using the nslookup command that you can resolve both IP Addresses to host names and visa versa

* Check that the GPO settings for the time server are the correct settings ie the correct ip address or hostname of the time server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi
    * it not being able to contact the time server so firewall whether its windows firewall or other firewall blocking data on a certain port

Any Idea which port I should be looking to check?

* Time between clients and servers are out by 5 or more mins

Time on the client is the same as my machine in the office and my machine works fine, no errors.

* Long shot but maybe DNS issue - test on clients using the nslookup command that you can resolve both IP Addresses to host names and visa versa

DNS would appear fine after testing. Initially this was one of my first thoughts. I'm still not totally ruling it out though.

* Check that the GPO settings for the time server are the correct settings ie the correct ip address or hostname of the time server

We don't have any settings specified in the GPO for a time server, I believed the NTP time server was set to the master automatically when joining the domain?
    Just confused my line manager with the problems. Also don't forget about the Event 5719, which seems to precede events 14 and 29.

I think I'll peruse the event logs on the DCs and double-check them for any related errors.

Thank Post
    I think there is a registry setting to set the NTP time servers and will check into the other event ID later on but other then that not sure unless someone else can shed some light

oh yeah, as for the port im not sure on that will also need to google that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread