+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Quick RDP question in Technical; Morning, Having a problem connecting to our DC using remote desktop. The only account that can connect is the domain ...

Thank Post

Quick RDP question

Morning,

Having a problem connecting to our DC using remote desktop. The only account that can connect is the domain admin acc. Other domain accounts that are not domain admins are unable to connect. Adding them to the remote desktop user group doesn't help. RDP connections are turned on on the DC and I have allowed the account I want to have access to connect. Whenever someone tries to connect they get the error.....

to log on to this remote computer you must have terminal server user access permissions. By default, members of the remote desktop users......etc etc you get the idea.

Could it be a licensing issue? Searches of google suggest that after 120 days only the administrator account can connect if you do not have terminal services licenses.

If anyone could shed any light on this I would be most grateful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I don't use it here, but do you not have to go into System properties\remote\ select remote users and give the account permisson?

Thank Post
    I added myself to that group as I mentioned above. That didnt have any affect. I think i may have sorted it now. Went to the server security policy and navigated to....

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Allow log on through Terminal Services.

I added the remote desktop security group to it and i can now RDP to the box. I would of thought that as MS decided to make a default group called remote desktop users by default that it should just work out of the box without having to do the above step?

Jon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    We think microsoft would do a lot of things like that, but they don't!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ddy View Post
    I added myself to that group as I mentioned above. That didnt have any affect. I think i may have sorted it now. Went to the server security policy and navigated to....

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Allow log on through Terminal Services.

I added the remote desktop security group to it and i can now RDP to the box. I would of thought that as MS decided to make a default group called remote desktop users by default that it should just work out of the box without having to do the above step?

Jon
    For most servers it does work by default, but DCs are much more tightly locked down than your average Windows server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread