+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Permission Problems on network drive in Technical; Hi Just wondering if anyone can help/advice on this. We have a 2003 server SP1 which has a Public Drive ...

Thank Post

Permission Problems on network drive

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help/advice on this.

We have a 2003 server SP1 which has a Public Drive mapped on all XP clients. The permissions were set originally to:

1- Pupils have read access to it
    2- all other members of staff have access to it + create folders, delete etc...

ANyway there has been a problem on it recently where folders that were created on it originally have all permissions messed up and the teachers group don't have access to it, children can read them and all sort of permission issues.

Because there are quite few folders on this drive, i thought about copying the whole lot out and resetting the permissions on the drive and then putting all the stuff back on it! Now when i try and copy some of the data onto an external drive as an administrator, it tells me that i don't have access to it! When i check on the owner of the folder, it has no owner. So until i change the ownership to administrator, i cant access it.

What is the easiest way to reset this drive?

Thank Post
    Take ownership?
    Properties > Security Tab > Advanced > Owner Tab >
    Select owner + tick replace owner on subcontainers.

You want to do this on the server itself, logged in as the appropriate administrator...

3. Thanks to MrBeatnik from:

speckytecky (15th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Can i do this in bulk to all the folders?

Then reset all the permissions on the network drive?

Thank Post
    You can select the root directory (the dir that is shared as the network drive).
    If you select this, there is a check box to take ownership of all subdirectories too.

If you don't want to do the root, but select multiple directories, I am unsure if you can do this in bulk - one by one may be required. I don't think it will hurt to try - select all and if option is there to take ownership then it should be ok.

See Take ownership of a file or folder: User Rights; Security Policy; Security Services

6. Thanks to MrBeatnik from:

speckytecky (15th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi

I managed to Take ownership of all the folders and files on that drive, just in the process of copying the data onto an external HDD.

Now i presume all i have to do is reset all the correct permissions on that drive, copy all data back into that drive and everything should be ok from there?

Thanks again

Thank Post
    You should be able to set the permissions on the root directory, and tick the option to apply this to all subdirectories. Although it's definitely wise to take a backup, you shouldn't really have to wipe and replace data...

Just use the same tab (Security Tab) for each top level directory to set the permissions accordingly. Should be all fine.

Heh, I'm on a Mac now, so I can't give specifics on what you should be seeing!!
    Good luck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread