+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Problems booting when smartboard plugged in in Technical; When my smart Board in plugged into a My Acer Veriton M464 it just locks up on POST screen. you ...

Thank Post

Problems booting when smartboard plugged in

When my smart Board in plugged into a My Acer Veriton M464 it just locks up on POST screen. you cannot press any buttons at all. When you unplug the usb the system carries on booting up fine. i noticed when the usb is plugged in on bootup that the led on the board is red.

If there are any other usb devices like pen drives the system is ok. The system is set to boot from cd then HD. No mention of usb bootup anywhere.

Also when the system has booted up and logged on with the usb unplugged, if you plug it back in it detects the board and works fine.

Any help would be greatful.
    thanks
    Darren

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem on an Asus Vintage unit. The solution was to change the USB speed settings in the BIOS. Also, a Dell laptop wouldnt get past the Dell splashscreen if the USB printer was plugged in, but a BIOS upgrade resolved that. Have you checked in the BIOS to see if there are any USB settings that can be adjusted (I think the Asus had something like Express or Full Speed as the 2 options).
    Worth checking in the Bios first or flashing the bios as your second option?

Thank Post
    Cheers pal. I will try that and let you know how it goes

Darren

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    It's normal that the Smartboard would display red as the computer is POSTing. It should then turn green when Windows loads, as of course the driver is loaded so they're 'talking' correctly.

It could well be a USB or indeed a BIOS issue. I can't say I've ever had a computer not load correctly with a Smartboard plugged in. Out of curiosity, is it a newer grey Smartboard or one of the older black serial based Smartboards? Many of the older boards use Serial > USB converters which can be problematic on some systems.

Thank Post
    Yep also had this problem, quite sometime ago with Asus Vintages, a BIOS update did the trick.

Thank Post
    One set of our machines does this, because for some reason the BIOS thinks it can boot off the smartboard. Obviously it fails majestically and coredumps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread