+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, System32\Drivers\NTFS.sys in Technical; A machine in the school has suddenly come up with this error message: "Windows could not start because the following ...

Thank Post

System32\Drivers\NTFS.sys

A machine in the school has suddenly come up with this error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

system32\drivers\ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the original set up CD rom. Select R at the first screen tp start repair"

Can simebody tell which CD I have to use?

So far I have found one CD, a green Dell disc with states Reinstallation CD (Windows XP Professional) - along the top of the CD is says that this is already installed on the computer.

I have found some instructions from Microsoft and another website to help me, but they do not seem to work. I keep going round and round in circles. People are now getting on my back as I can't get their machine working!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Dell disk will be an 'image disk' that is you can restore your entire computer to the factory default state (therefore losing any programs\work etc you have installed) complete with the appropriate drivers.
    What you need is a Windows XP installation disk as sold by Microsoft. if you do not have one I would ask your local high school to help out with obtaining one (you don't need the serial number, just the disk).

Thank Post
    Get an image of your machines in the state you want it. Clonezilla is a nice free one to use or FOG.

Anymore problems in future simple reimage and voila.

Thank Post
    NTFS.sys is in the i386 folder of the reinstallation cd.

This might fix it or it might not

put the reinstallation cd in the drive and boot the computer you need to press f12 at startup to choose to boot from the cd.
    The reinstallation cd will then require you to press any key to boot dont miss it its only on the screen for about four seconds.
    After booting choose the recovery option you will be reuired to select the windows installation you wish to repair (usually 1) then you will be required to input the local administrator password. After this it will leave you at the c:\windows prompt.

type the following

copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

This assumes d is your cd drive

answer yes to replace the file then type exit to reboot the computer

Thank Post
    @JJonas

These are the instructions that I have been trying to follow - I can't get to the point where I choose R for RECOVERY and type into the prompt.

I shall try F12 at start up and see where that takes me.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I was just looking at the options on one of my Dells.

Essentially you need to boot from the cd it may tell you a different key to press to get into the boot menu or you might have to go into the BIOS screen and change the boot order so CD/optical media is booted before the hard drive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I was just looking at the options on one of my Dells.

Essentially you need to boot from the cd it may tell you a different key to press to get into the boot menu or you might have to go into the BIOS screen and change the boot order so CD/optical media is booted before the hard drive.

Firstly are we talking abou the same CD? It is the green Dell CD that has OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER across the top.

I could not get the CD to pick up at first so I went into the Set Up part (F2) and changed the boot order to ignore a few of the drives and do USB or CD Rom drive. Is this what you were getting at in previous post?

From there it goes through a long list of things it is doing - these are all listed at the bottom of the screen. The screen is blue with System Set up at the top left. From there it goes straight to the error screen again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread