+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Which Printer??? in Technical; Hi I need to buy couple of colour laser printers and i was wondering which one to go for? It ...

Thank Post

Which Printer???

Hi

I need to buy couple of colour laser printers and i was wondering which one to go for?

It needs to be run on the network, enough memory to handle all data, cheap on the run and reliable.

We used to purchase the HP 2600n but these are causing a lot of problems recently..... Seems like now and then the printer decides to spool and prints the same documents over and over again!
    On top of this the consumables are so expensive that it is cheap to buy a new printer!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    It needs to be run on the network, enough memory to handle all data, cheap on the run and reliable.
    The more expensive HP colour laser printers seem fine. We still use the 4600 series - they're around 300 each off eBay. Probably still on the picy side to run, though (around 30p for a full-colour A4 page). I think the latest similar model is around 800 new. Your best option is probably to lease, then it's someone else's problem to supply toner and fix issues.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Can you recommend a leasing company?

Thank Post
    Hi

I need to buy couple of colour laser printers and i was wondering which one to go for?

We used to purchase the HP 2600n but these are causing a lot of problems recently..... Seems like now and then the printer decides to spool and prints the same documents over and over again!
    On top of this the consumables are so expensive that it is cheap to buy a new printer!!!
    We've been stung the same way with HP 3600s. Like the 2600 (but not the 2605) they are host based, which gives trouble if you're using a print server. I'm pretty sure something in an MS update has effected this, since ours went from being good as gold to a complete nightmare over night.

I think HP have realised host based is a bad idea on networked printers, since they not don't make any host based networked colour lasers.

Thank Post
    Is there a work around this at all?

WOuld like to keep these 2600n we have but they just sometimes go crazy and spools the same document over and over again!!!!

Would the way they are setup affect it at all?
    I have installed the print software on the server and the IP addressses are manually set on the printers. I have then used a logon script to attach the relevant printer!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin
    Not for Nottingham: I'd go for someone smaller and local to you. It's worth spending some time sorting out printer / photocopier leasing properly.

Is there a work around this at all?
    You could always try an external USB print server. Admittedly we had problems with our 2600n (it decided it was going to stop printing network jobs, although it would print locally via USB and the web-based management interface still worked fine) and simply chucked it out.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    We have just purchased some Hp CP2025's which seem to be ok, there is a funny problem with the print drivers tho, it thinks the driver is unistalled and asks you to reinstall it when you open properties, but if you cancel it, it still lets you do everything you could before!

Toby

Thank Post
    Not sure you will be able too mate, i tried last year and was told by finance that the LEA have brought in lots of new rules about leasing and we arent really allowed to do it in Nottingham now without getting them to sign off on it. Didnt really follow it up because i fond something better, not sure how difficult it is because i found a better solution anyway. But might be worth cheking with you finance dept before you waste too much time on the idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    dhicks: where did you get the figure of 30p a page from?

I just bought some 4600's for about 130

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

Hi Marvin,

Be sure to send me a pm if you would like some options on printers fella and I'm sure we can save you a tidy amount on the consumables as many on Edugeek will tell you,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

I just bought some 4600's for about 130

Ben
    I'd be interested in those figures as well. I've just been entering print cost into Papercut so I can start getting meaningful reports out. The HP 2600 is the most expensive of our colour lasers to print to but I get 9p per page colour A4.

Of course this is based on a compatible toner replacement price divided by the number of pages they think it should last at 5% page coverage.

Thank Post
    some of the hp printer problems can be solved by disabling snmp ive found (esp server 2003 sp2 iirc based print servers) i had a few that just decided to always show as ofline as snmp was misreporting back to the server might be a similar problem and as its free worth a try. Id avoid canon lasers as i had to install and leave odd software on my server they wont find an ip address till the software finds them and forces it onto them and if you remove the software they just dont print (jobs go toserver and out then dissapear into the ether(net) and never print out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We buy (probably rather pricy) HP-original toner cartridges - the compatibles we used leaked toner and were more trouble than they were worth. Our staff seem keen on printing photos, so the 30p figure assumes a full-size colour A4 page - at least 80% coverage.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    We buy (probably rather pricy) HP-original toner cartridges - the compatibles we used leaked toner and were more trouble than they were worth. Our staff seem keen on printing photos, so the 30p figure assumes a full-size colour A4 page - at least 80% coverage.

--
    David Hicks
    David,

We are using some new sources for our OEM toners now so It would be interesting to see if we can save you some money on your toners fella,

Thank Post
    We use Xerox 6360dn with PagePack annual inclusive printing contract. It works well and for us has dropped the per-page cost down quite a lot.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast