+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Laptop can't see server on wireless in Technical; I have a strange problem that I can't resolve. With a few laptops (not all of them as mine is ...
    Thank Post

Laptop can't see server on wireless

I have a strange problem that I can't resolve. With a few laptops (not all of them as mine is fine) when that are connected to the wireless network they can't see the mail server. I've tried to ping the mail server via cmd prompt and no response. They log on fine and when connected via cable all is good.

As I said it is on some laptops not all of them. I've checked the DNS and no settings seem out of place. Any suggestions really appreciated on this!

Yours
    Rowan

Thank Post
    ping using ip. if this gets replies then it is most certainly dns

Thank Post
    I've had this a few times, as mentioned above... DNS can be the issue, doing a quick repair normally resolves it.

Thank Post
    I've tried pinging via IP to no avail. Tried to repair the connection as well but no good. The only thing that I can pick has changed is that between a few days the laptop wireless connection was issued a new IP address via dhcp. But it is still within the scope so I can't see how that would affect anythin....but it is the only thing that has changed too?!?

Thank Post
    Is it just the mailserver they are trying to access ?

Could it be connected to a firewall on the machines or even some filtering on the wireless Access Points ? If this is using Outlook it uses lots of random ports.

You might also want to check that any filtering that is on the access points are all the same across all of them as otherwise it may be this that is stopping things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Can you ping the laptops from the mail server? How many access points do you have at your site? I presume you're using 54g and are using channels, such as 1, 6 and 11 which do not overlap each other? What type of encryption are you using?

As a temporary test, you could also disable encryption on your access point. If the laptops can connect and ping, then it would be a security related issue. Updating laptop wireless drivers can solve these problems typically.

Thank Post
    If its Vista laptops IPV6 could be the issue, as it seems to effect laptops randomly on our network...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Is it just the mailserver they are trying to access ?

Could it be connected to a firewall on the machines or even some filtering on the wireless Access Points ? If this is using Outlook it uses lots of random ports.

You might also want to check that any filtering that is on the access points are all the same across all of them as otherwise it may be this that is stopping things.
    We use a Ruckus system so all the access points are centrally managed. I've been through the c onfig several times and can't find anything that has changed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Can you ping the laptops from the mail server? How many access points do you have at your site? I presume you're using 54g and are using channels, such as 1, 6 and 11 which do not overlap each other? What type of encryption are you using?

As a temporary test, you could also disable encryption on your access point. If the laptops can connect and ping, then it would be a security related issue. Updating laptop wireless drivers can solve these problems typically.
    Nope, can't ping from the mail server back to the laptop. At the moment I have the encryption set as WPA-PSK. I'll have a go at disabling the encryption and trying that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    If its Vista laptops IPV6 could be the issue, as it seems to effect laptops randomly on our network...
    XP. We don't have any Vista machines here as the district office decided that we are going to skip vista and go straight for win7

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread